Port tuning when using a PVC Elbow?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Heh guys:
So I'm using a pvc elbow to snake a port around the inside of this box I'm building. Problem being, now that it isn't straight I'm not really sure how long to consider the port... I poked around a bit and couldn't really find much of an answer on this .....
How does this work exactly?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
The linear length through the center of the port is what matters, no matter if it has a bend.
Support the12volt.com
JoeMetal 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
I don't exactly how it works either, but for the Rockford Fosgate T215D2, they recommend a 6"x17" port, but the example of the port they give is a 7.5" section, followed by a 90 degree turn and then a 6.5" section. The straight sections add up to 14" so my guess is that each 90 degree turn adds half the diameter.
If anyone else could back me up, that'd be great. I'm just going on pure conjecture here.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hehe..
Thanks D..!
Yea JoeMetal, i had thought maybe taking the average of the long and short end and using that number.. but I pretty much thought through the center made the most sense.
Guess our conjecture was right eh?
JoeMetal 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like it. Port tuning when using a PVC Elbow? - Last Post -- posted image.
Good luck making that port. You'll have to show us some pics of it when it's done.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
Ack. I'm actually not going to be able to...
I'm having to redesign the thing cuz I couldn't fit the ports and subs on the same mounting surface while retaining the ability to get the box in my trunk.
I'm kinda hesitant about this new design cuz the ports are gonna be... *small* but WinISD sayz it'll work .... we'll see...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic