icon

Rockford T1693C installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JoeMetal 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
I was just wondering if I installed the Rockford T1693C 6x9s in my front doors if I would need the special wire adapter or if I could just cut the original wires and just use them.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
either way you like
JoeMetal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't taken my door panels off yet, but I imagine that the original harness just has the respective colored wire and the wire with the stripe, right? Or are there more than two wires?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
Well I should hope there are only two wires.
JoeMetal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
I figured that, because I would have no idea what the other ones would do; I was just making sure.
So I guess my question is now, the only reason to buy the special adapters would be for ease? Since all the cutting, stripping and soldering is done for you? Is there any real difference in sound?
dwarren 
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

There will be absolutely no difference in sound.

I call those adapters dummy plugs. Use them if you have them or not. The only real benefit is going back to stock is easier if you must get rid of the vehicle or it is a lease that needs to be turned in.

I prefer soldering as those slip on terminals can slip off (haha, no pun intended), but that's getting anal.

JoeMetal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
Well, to be honest, I had already purchased the "dummy plugs" from Crutchfield simply for the fact that it comes with the "Master Sheet" for my car. This will be my first real "install" I've ever done, and I figured I'd err on the safe side.
As long as we are talking about wiring harnesses... Is the wiring harness for a HU necessary? Or is this just another case of ease?
What I plan on doing is upgrading my current HU and installing this one in my friend's new-to-him car. And I'm not so sure if I want to spend however much a wiring harness is when I really don't have to.
dwarren 
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

If you've never done it before, I suggest getting the plug, there really are no negatives, it simplifies the process and decreases chances for mistakes (blowing fuses, etc). Again it is up to you though, the money or the time to test wires. The in-dash harnesses tend not to come apart like the speaker versions. They have "clips"

Use the plugs you have for the speakers, why waste them. By the way I hope I didn't offend you by calling them dummy plugs, it was just a joke of sorts.

JoeMetal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
I was planning on using the plugs for speakers, since I had already ordered them.
And I wasn't offended by the term "dummy plugs" at all. Actually, it just illustrated their use further.
I'd like to try to do the whole HU myself. I feel it'll be good practice and I'm confident I can do it. If I can't, it's not like it's some stranger's car that I'm blowing fuses on anyways.
If I were not to use the wiring harness, how would I connect each of the wire to the head unit?
Also, what would I test on the wires? I have access to a digital multimeter, just so you know.
And I may be scaring you by asking these completely basic questions, but I won't be installing it for a while and I want to make sure that I have all of my information completely correct before I start this.
dwarren 
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

Bah, scaring me? You are taking advice from a person on myspaceRockford T1693C installation -- posted image.

For the in dash portion, butt/crimp connectors will suffice. They are blue or red, based on wire size. (radioshack, kragen, etc).

Yes that dmm will work fine. A word of advice to the wise, connect the constant FIRST, avoid blowing the fuse.

Butt the radio harness first, then go to the car with proper strippers and crimp the hanress there. Put a towel on the area in which you are working. Mainly the dash trim. then either zip tie or tape the harness to make it look neat. Gently bend the harness in an "s" shape and slowly feed the hanress in followed by the deck. Make sure your cage is in and use a sharpie on the lip around the cage. Before you pop the radio in make sure you have balance, fade and radio.

Good luck. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic