icon

Woofer sag

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

I was experimenting yesterday with my subwoofer placement and i found that i liked downfiring alot.... does the sw7104dvc.t2 with the specs fs=33hz vas=.70 cuft xmax (one way) = 1.4" have good specs for sag in a downfiring position...

i found a calculator on a webpage related to adire audio stuff... but it was not working correctly :(

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks-- matt

everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
Woofer sag -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

Percentage of Sag = 24,849 / ( Xmax * Fs²)

If Sag% < 5%, the driver may be mounted down (or up) firing.  (Xmax must be in milimeters.)

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the Adire tech paper on this topic written by Dan Wiggins, which is very useful:  http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/DriverOrientation.pdf
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  

A handy sag calculator written using the formula defined in the Adire white paper, as you can see by the credit given.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Hickmanae3 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
whats does downfiring mean?
No security system can beat the tow truck :(
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Cone facing the floor
Hickmanae3 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

Does that give off more bass then having a exnclouse box because i thought the sub must have a certain sq feet around the voice core so the pressure can build up and become greater to push more bass out/

No security system can beat the tow truck :(
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  

Woofer sag -- posted image.

.......Front-firing....................Down-firing.........

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
exdox77 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
your not really going to be more bass, actually it would be like being in a bandpass box. but you would really get lower spl, but may be beneficial if you are a SQ guy. you could filter out noise from the speaker and other stuff like that. in theory you wouldnt really be very beneficial but thats my suggestion
Mobile Archviers -
Ever Growing Vehicle Archive's
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  

One of the benefits that I have found in a downfire arrangement is that often, the vehicle's floor carpet/padding acts acoustically with the output of the sub, helping getting rid of standing waves and crap like that. I really enjoy the sound that a properly made downfire enclosure does. I have experimented with various heights-from-the-floor and found that 2 inches really does well, 3 is fine, higher seems to make it sound different to me. As most of us probably know (for the benefit of those who dont), the sub has to have some distance between it and the floor in order to give a good output. For SQ purposes, as was previously stated, IMO, downfire is one of the ways to go, if your application allows for it. For SPL, IMO, I would not recommend it. Just as the carpeting acts acoustically for an SQ application, it can "take away from" the output of the sub if your are trying go SPL.

Just my $2.59 worth.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic