icon

How to Identify Bi-Ampable Components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lakers08 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking for a set of 2-way components that are bi-ampable via the supplied passive crossover. I've narrowed it down to a few sets, namely: Diamond Audio, CDT, Dynaudio, Focal and Seas Lotus.
I've noticed some of these companies will advertise that the set can be bi-amped or bi-wired (ie: Focal 165W). With others, it's a bit more difficult. For instance, I don't know if any of you have tried to negotiate the CDT website, but it's poorly designed and confusing. I've corresponded with one of their reps and couldn't get the info I wanted out of him. Other companies haven't responded to my numerous e-mails for confirmation.
I've searched far and wide to find a quality 2-way set that is bi-ampable. Is there a way to tell by looking at the supplied crossovers (ie: a certain number of inputs)? My current speakers have switches inside the crossover where you can choose between "Standard" and "Bi-Wire."
In addition, I welcome any suggestions/feedback by members who have listened to or owned any 2-way components up to around $700. They will be mounted in the door panel of a 2001 Civic. Thanks.           
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
lakers08 wrote:
I'm looking for a set of 2-way components that are bi-ampable via the supplied passive crossover. I've narrowed it down to a few sets, namely: Diamond Audio, CDT, Dynaudio, Focal and Seas Lotus.
All good component sets, BTW...
lakers08 wrote:
I've noticed some of these companies will advertise that the set can be bi-amped or bi-wired (ie: Focal 165W). With others, it's a bit more difficult. For instance, I don't know if any of you have tried to negotiate the CDT website, but it's poorly designed and confusing. I've corresponded with one of their reps and couldn't get the info I wanted out of him. Other companies haven't responded to my numerous e-mails for confirmation.
Bi-amped or bi-wired sets will behave pretty much the same... they will have two sets of inputs. The should be labelled high and low, or woofer and tweeter.
lakers08 wrote:
I've searched far and wide to find a quality 2-way set that is bi-ampable. Is there a way to tell by looking at the supplied crossovers (ie: a certain number of inputs)? My current speakers have switches inside the crossover where you can choose between "Standard" and "Bi-Wire."
For the particular set you have now, you would set the switch to "bi-wire", and simply run two amplifiers to the crossover inputs, again, one to the tweeter in, and one to the woofer in.
lakers08 wrote:
In addition, I welcome any suggestions/feedback by members who have listened to or owned any 2-way components up to around $700. They will be mounted in the door panel of a 2001 Civic. Thanks.
That's a big number. If willing to spend that much, I'd stay away from the CDT. While a good set, not quite in the class of the others. My personal choice would be the Seas Lotus, but I am Seas fan to begin with. The Seas will be a good, FAST system, not overly bright, very smooth overall frequency response. Speaking as one who also has an '01 Civic, it's going to be difficult to maintian a good heads-up soundstage by putting the tweeters in the door. The passenger side sounds WONDERFUL, but you are much more "On-Axis" with the passenger door. I found that a pair of good speakers in the rear deck, running at a DRAMATICALLY reduced output and full-range (relative to the fronts) helps this soundstage issue, and brings the stage to JUST BELOW eye level. Kinda like the 30th row at a concert... without, it's like you are sitting ABOVE the performance. Keep the tweeter CLOSE to the woofer, do not try to raise it too much above the handrest - where the window controls are - if even that high.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
lakers08 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the info. The Seas Lotus and Focal 165W remain at the top of my list; the only difference is I've actually been able to audition the Focals.
Yes, the speaker placement in the Civic isn't the greatest. I have my tweeters currently located right below the woofer. I've done as you suggested and am basically running my rear speakers (Diamonds) at full range off of the deck. Hence, my spare two channels of amplification and desire to bi-amp.     
Grkinstall 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

have you thought about doing a component set and not using the factory crossover the way you can use the electronic crossover on the amp to tune. if you try that look into a electronic crossover (external of internal on the amp) that has a bandpass cross over to use on the mid.

i have the dyn 3 ways and i didn't use the factory crossover that way i had more control

Pioneer dxp9,Pioneer deq9
(2)Arc audio xxk 2500
Dyn Audio system 340
(2) Mtx 8500
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Dave's description of the Seas is right on.  I've had my Seas Lotus Reference comps in my car now for three years and I am so spoiled everything else simply sounds bad to me.  And I also agree that CDT makes fine speakers at a lower price point, but at $700 or above there are far better choices.
Support the12volt.com
lakers08 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn,
As you have the Sea Lotus components, I wanted to ask you a couple of quick questions regarding your set-up:
1) How much wattage do you have going to each side?
2) Have you experimented with differing levels of amplification or different amplifiers?
3) How is the set mounted? (ie: kick panels, door)
4) I'd have two channels at 75W/RMS (amp is JL 300/4) going to each set of components; is this adequate to run the Seas Lotus speakers and have them perform well?
Thanks for any info that you're able to provide.
Dave
"Lakers08"      
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  

1) 100 watts RMS

2) Yes, from a 50 WPC Planet amp to my current 100 WPC Nakamichi.  Any good quality amp from about 25 WPC will work, but be sure it is CLEAN as the Seas will reveal every detail.

3) Factory door location on custom bafle boards

4)  Yes

Support the12volt.com
lakers08 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn, I was just looking at the supplied crossovers for the Reference set and it looks like they can't be bi-amped via the supplied crossovers. Am I wrong?
DYohn 
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
Seas Reference component set includes seperate high pass and low pass crossovers, so yes they can easily be bi-amped.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic