low output from sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
action1978 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hi

I am running a Rockford P312D4 Sub in a band pass box.  I am pushing it with a Hifonics Neptune with the VC's in parallel to produce 500Watts at 2 ohms.  My head unit is a Rockford Fosgate RAV-DVD1 which says it puts out 5Volts.

I have the gain up all the way on the amp, the bass boost is half way up, and on the head unit the "punch level" and bass adjustment are also higher than 0.  My output is still not near what I was expecting.  I used to run a couple of single VC old school paper cone subs at about 150 watts and they hit a lot harder than this. 

My bandpass box sounds great when I do get the bass to hit, but I suppose it may have been built wrong,  It still seems like a box that is slightly off in volume or port dimension would hit harder than this. 

Is there something I am over looking?  I am a dumbass as I am just getting into this.  Thanks.

jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
is it wired correctly? also possible the box is too big -- bigger takes more power to thump
action1978 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, its wired correctly.  I'm sure of that.  More likely the box size.  Am I going to damage my sub / amp if I run it like this? I don't usually play it very loud and am not hearing any clipping.
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like it might be out of phase. Try switching the pos & neg around on one side to see if that helps.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

action1978 wrote:
Yeah, its wired correctly.  I'm sure of that.  More likely the box size.  Am I going to damage my sub / amp if I run it like this? I don't usually play it very loud and am not hearing any clipping.

I guarantee that amp is clipping with the gain at max and it's not surprising that you can't hear it in a bandpass.  Run like that for long and you certainly could fry your speaker.  The suggestion that your VCs might be out of phase is a good one.  Or maybe the speaker is simply blown already.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic