icon

Fed Up With Eclipse Amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

Head unit - v8022    Amp (Sub) - Kicker 1200.1  Amp(4 channel) Eclipse 3422   Eq - Audiocontrol three.1 Speakers - Kappa Perfect 6.1 and the 6x9's Blaukpunkt Pcxt693

~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

I'll give you $100 for the speakers and amp right now.  Fed Up With Eclipse Amps - Page 2 -- posted image.

$150!
What is the quality of your ground? What is the quality of your power? How old is your battery? How big is your alternator? What kind of car is it?
A 1200 watt amplifier *IS* (not might) going to cause some current starvation, and if one set of speakers is more efficient, the less efficient set will cause you to possibly run the volume a bit higher, compensating. This could possibly overwork the amplifier. One set of speakers, as DYohn says, might have a lower nominal impedance, making the amp work harder...
I expect it is NOT the amp!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
I agree.  The 3422 is an outstanding 50wpc amplifier and is not likely to be the problem.  Setup is the most likely problem (power/ground as haemphyst suggects, gain or even crossover setting).  How do you have the high-pass set?
Support the12volt.com
Teamrf 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
I just regrounded the amp this morning. The resistance on the ground is .4ohms. The 1200 watt amp is not even hooked up at the moment. I have 4awg wire for power and ground. My battery is not even 9 months old yet. Its an optima yellow top. My car is a 01 Honda Accord.
~The Rookie~
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
.4 ohms sounds a little high. Are you saying your ground, from amp termianl to battery post is .4 ohms? While that's pretty good, it could be better. What are you grounding to? Are you using a seatbolt? Well, DON'T... It's not a good place for grounding!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Teamrf 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

I thought a good ground should read 0.01 ohm. I have it grounded on the back of my seat. Its a spot that seperates the trunk from the inside of the car. Its a bar there. I guess I could move the ground and see if that helps.

~The Rookie~
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

Teamrf wrote:
I thought a good ground should read 0.01 ohm.

Yes, ideally.  Realize your 0.4 ohms reading is 400 times higher (and therefore worse) than 0.01.  But really, anything less than one ohm is usually not an issue, and should not cause the problem you have.

It is possible you have defective speakers, although I still think an improperly set gain is the issue.

Support the12volt.com
Teamrf 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
I've never had a problem when it came to setting the gains on a 4channel amp. Not saying that I'm perfect but I don't know...it works fine with the other 6.5" speakers.
~The Rookie~
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
I gotta say that logic dictates that its not an amp problem. You switch speakers and the problem is gone, wouldn thtat point the finger to the speakers. Also that 3.1 does either 8 or 9.5 volts rms output which means that if the gains are set properly they would most likely be kissing the floor not sitting half way. Just something to think about.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to say that the gain is set too high.
You're using Infinity components which can handle how much power? Your amplifier puts out 50w RMS pc, correct?
More then likely your amplifier can't even cause the components to distort. So how did you know how high to set the gain(s)? Note that I recently ran into this problem on an install that involved Boston Components all around and a Phoenix Gold 5.1 channel amp. It took a bit of trial and error to get it right.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic