icon

stock radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
qmw54 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
ok i have a 99 chevy silverodo and still have the stock radio in it and i need to know if the stock radio has a remote cut on wire .... or a wire i can tie my amp into that would work like a remote cut on ....... thanks qmw
qmw54 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
o and another thing i need to know ......if there is a wire what color is it ??
rallysport 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
you are not going to find a remote out on a stock radio, but you can use the acc wire to turn on your amp, its yellow. use a meter to verify as there will be more than 1 yellow wire.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
you can make your own remote turn on if you want. You'll use a relay, a few resistors, and a few other things. Basically you just need to tell the amp to turn on when the car is on. THe only problem with this is that the amp(s) will always be on when the car is on.
IIRC someone sells a speaker level to RCA converter that also supplies a remote turn on lead. This would be the easiest method
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

I can't imagine why you'd need either a relay OR resistors...(tell us why, poorman...)... but yes, there is a LOC or two that will also supply the turn-on function by using the voltage in the signal wire and stepping it up to 12 volts.  This type of LOC needs to be connected to 12 v power and ground.  There are also units that just supply the turn-on if you already have an LOC.  Look at Peripheral, Soundgate, Navone and others.

Otherwise, just connect a small gauge wire to a 12 volt switched source in the car for turn-on function.  It's always best to put a fuse inline in ANY power wire, so a 1/2 amp fuse and fuse holder should be on your shopping list no matter which way you go.  I have the amps in my car connected to 12 v switched, they're always on when the car is on, and no trouble because of it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Oops, you wouldn't need a relay.
The resistors would be used to lower the current down to ~250~500 milliamps.
When you turned the key to on/acc that would provide power to the radio, which in turn would provide voltage/power to the amp to turn it on.
Anyways, a premade LOC is much easier.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
There's really no need for a resistor.  An amp's turn on circuit will only draw as much as it needs.  Also, when using LOC's that provide their own remote leads, keep in mind that these will often cut out at lower volumes.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Hickmanae3 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Just find a fuse that turns on when the ignition has started and turns off when the car is off. My suggestion is to use the radio/audio fuse and use that for your remote turn on switch
No security system can beat the tow truck :(
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Please DON'T ever tap into the fuse block blindly on any car, especially newer cars where it might draw current from a computer. Bad things will happen. Use the PIE low voltage trigger model # 1VT. I've never had one turn off at lower volume levels.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
POORMAN... I'M CURIOUS TO HEAR HOW THE RESISTORS would lower current...... you'll have to explain that to us newbies.....   although that radio does indeed have a remote turn on circuit (power antenna) you'll likely find that the harness doesnt have a wire there, based on the fact that the C/K trucks never came with a power ant..... if the wire was there it would likely be pink... if not then as rallysport said just use the acc wire for the radio or use a device like the DEI 51000 which senses AC current on the speaker lead and switches on a supplied 12 volts to remote on an amp... the nice thing about these is that if the amp is susceptable to any engine noise you'll only hear it when the amp is actually turned on, not all the time like using acc to remote the amp on......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic