icon

PPI PCX-2200, No Sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
possessed007 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

Okay guys Im running 3 x JL Audio 10W6v2-D4 with 3 X PPI PCX-2200....one for each sub bridged......

PPI PCX-2200 specs:

2 Channel

2 X 200w @ 4ohms

2 x 400w @ 2ohms

1 X 800w bridged

Does this amp give out 1 x 800w at 2ohms or 4ohms and if it gives it at 4ohms and my sub was wired 2ohm was the amp running 1600w? Cause right now all 3 of my amps have power but no sound (bass) and overheating (amps are burning hot). Also setup was running fine for 2 days

So were they running :

1 x 800w @4ohms

OR

1 x 800w @ 2ohms

OR

1 x 1600w @ 2ohms

???????

Also if i cant run each amp bridged can i use only one channel per amp for each sub? Will I still get 2 x 400w @ 2ohms but using only one channel?

boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
Most multi-channel amps aren't stable at 2ohms in bridged mode unless stated in the user manual. If you've been running it bridged @ 2ohms, and it quit working, my guess would be you blew the amp.
possessed007 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

boardinbum wrote:
Most multi-channel amps aren't stable at 2ohms in bridged mode unless stated in the user manual. If you've been running it bridged @ 2ohms, and it quit working, my guess would be you blew the amp.

But if i would of blown the amp wouldnt it not turn on? Cause the amp still has power (led still on)

godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
No it could just not play, start billowing smoke, blowing an amp simply makes it so it doesn't work.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
Your amp is in protection mode.  It requires at least a 4-ohm load when bridged.
Support the12volt.com
possessed007 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Your amp is in protection mode.  It requires at least a 4-ohm load when bridged.

So you mean if i run it in 2ohm it will always go into protection mode?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
possessed007 wrote:

DYohn wrote:

So you mean if i run it in 2ohm it will always go into protection mode?

Unless you get very lucky, yes.  A few amps will stay stable below their rated impedence loading, but generally not PPI.  Protection mode keeps the amp from burning up.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

possessed007, you should get the impedance load terms right so you and whomever you're talking to will always be on the same page. 

"So you mean if i run it in 2ohm it will always go into protection mode?"

Running your amp at 2 ohms is fine.  Why?  Because when you say what load you're running the amp in you should be talking about per channel unless you specifically say "bridged".  You are bridging a two channel amp with 2 ohms of impedance, so instead of running the amp at 2 ohms you're actually running it at 1 ohm.  ( 2 ohms bridged across two channels equates to a 1 ohm load on each channel.)  That's why your amp is in protection mode...it's being loaded with too low of impedance:  2 ohms (per channel) being the lowest load it will accept.

A 4 ohm load bridged is a 2 ohm load on your amp, which is acceptable.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
possessed007 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

possessed007, you should get the impedance load terms right so you and whomever you're talking to will always be on the same page. 

Running your amp at 2 ohms is fine.  Why?  Because when you say what load you're running the amp in you should be talking about per channel unless you specifically say "bridged".  You are bridging a two channel amp with 2 ohms of impedance, so instead of running the amp at 2 ohms you're actually running it at 1 ohm.  ( 2 ohms bridged across two channels equates to a 1 ohm load on each channel.)  That's why your amp is in protection mode...it's being loaded with too low of impedance:  2 ohms (per channel) being the lowest load it will accept.

Okay now I understand.......but just in case......

1 JL Audio 10w6v2-D4 it can run 6ohm or 2ohm.....

So if I bridge the PPI-PCX2200 and I have my JL setup for 2ohm my amp is running 1 ohm?

So I would be better off leaving the JL at 6ohm and the amp bridged I will run at 3ohm?

Please confirm.....

Or will I be better off running the JL on one channel of the amp at 2ohm and leaving the other channel free?

possessed007 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

Can I use only one channel from the amp at 2ohm and leave the other channel free?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic