icon

How to copy a mold?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I'm done with the original enclosure.  The front is painted, the sides are sanded smooth.

Now, how do I go about copying it?  I know I have to do it in two parts, back then front, and then combine them later.  My question is, how do I actually copy it?

Like what do I apply to the original to make sure the copy can be seperated from it?  I've searched around and found a few methods involving wax, tin foil, spam, and other things, but I can't find a step by step procedure.

It'd be greatly appreciated if someone could give me a step by step method to reproduce it.

Thanks

mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
what I do is wrap the original in about two to three layers of tape, lay aluminum foil down over the taped part (tape down the sides to hold it still), and then I spread car wax over the aluminum foil (I have heard that you can use other things like pam non-stick cooking spray but I have never tried it...and I gotta ask...
Were did you hear to use SPAM from????
any way, after your layers dry (lay more than one so that it doesn't loose form by you pulling it off) just undo the aluminum foil and tape.
Good luck
Firstnbass 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
If you want a SMOOTH copy with very few imperfections you'll want to do this,
1. Make sure your peice is painted/ cleared basicly already smooth, no imperfections.
2.Contact tap plastics at: www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=66
and order a can of POL-EASE I have been using this for a while now and you cant beat the performance of this stuff.
okay the next few parts are at the users discresion, meanibg you choose what products to use,
I would following the instructions on your "POL-EASE" to prepare the surface then build a squre box around the enclosue while on your work bench.
Now with the enclosure inside the box you cover the entire enclosure with plaster and a hair like fiber from your local fabric shop, I use Jo-Ann fabrics.
You have to really push that stuff in their good
3. after the mold is complete you find a way to remove the enclosure from the mold (with the least amount of damage as possable)
4. Now if this all worked out as it usually does you'll have a perfect mold that can be used many times over.
**** In some cases a multi peice mold is required, be sure you'll be able to get the enclosure out after making the mold or you wont be able to get the mirrored peice out. If this is the case let me know I can explain how to make a 2-10 peice mold is needed, but it is hard.
5. Okay so your mold is ready to creat some peices
Get some good gel coat, this can also be purchased at Tap
6. Spray on or brush on what ever you want, be sure to place your speaker rings before gel coat
7. Gel coat is dry, Start rolling fiberglass right over gel-coat, as many coats as needed to acheive sturdy construction
DO NOT REMOVE FROM MOLD UNTIL you finish all fiberglass, and be sure it is as sturdy as you need it to be.
I hope this helps, if It were me I would Take the enclosure that you already built and use it for a buck only, meaningf make 2 peices from your mold and do not use the one you have, you are going to damage it in the molding process, and if you fail to remove it from the mold in one peice you'll cause more work for yourself. Good luck

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic