icon

question from first timer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chris102984 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

okay, im brand new to the whole fiberglass concept.

so i came up with an idea that i could put my subs into my spare tire well to create a stealth install and have a full usable trunk. im fairly apt in the whole handyman department so i think i can fiberglass fine.

my big question is from what i read its best to use pieces of mdf in flat areas... how do you bond the fiberglass to the mdf?

my second queston is would it be advisable to use the wood with the speaker rings from my old sub boxes? and would it also be advisable to cut out the wood around the terminal cups and try to recycle them still attached to the wood?

abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
The resin or "glue" that is used in fiberglass holds just fine to MDF without any problems. As for the speaker rings and terminal try to get something new. In my experiance this is the only sure, clean, easy way to get the job done right. If you are needing any rings cut let me know and I can do them for you for the cost of materials if that is the rout you would like to take.
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
I used a previous terminal from my one of my old boxes once...I just unscrewed it from the back of the old one and drilled/screwed it into place on my new one...worked fine. As for MDF speaker rings: I would go with buying them from abovestock (in my opinion) if you don't have a router you're in for a hell of a time getting good fitting/looking circles; as I was quoted once when I made ovals instead of circles "I'm no circle-ologist but those don't look like circles to me." Anyways, getting back onto point here, abovestock is right by saying that the resin holds just fine; however, alot of people including myself lay one to two layers of glass on the inside where the fleece and MDF meet...just to ensure that extra seal.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
MDF and fibreglass joins are no problem.  MDF is just compacted fibres so fibreglass resin will seep into it and provide a strong bond.  I agree with buying the rings from abovestock unsless u wanna try your hand at making your own rings.  You can unscrew your terminal caps and transplant them if u want.  You could use silicon to seal around the terminal cap if u wanted to make sure it was 100% air-tight but i find its not always needed.   I have fabricated MDF rings for a sub using only a jigsaw.  It is a long process and it got on my nerves.  Buy the rings and if u wanna do it buy new terminal caps, it definatly wont hurt.  MDF in flat areas is a MUST as fibreglass is strongest in a desing with curves, and MDF is much easier.  Make the basic deign with MDF and then fibreglass the rest of the tricky bits.
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic