icon

Single Amp for all?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cold 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn, it was the installer who suggested the amp, with much confidence even. I looked at the specs and said 'this is a two channel amp though.' and he was like 'yup'. And he explained the way he would do it, it was most likely the kind of crossover you mentioned above. I really think he wants to do one channel to the sub and the other channel to all the rest!!!
        BTW the RF model is 3002 150x2 at 1ohm.
I think I will go elsewhere for the install, and probably end up going head unit to components and rear coaxial speakers, then just powering up the 12" with the quart amp I already have! Or else I could just keep the fac sys and use crossovers on the fac speakers, add the sub and amp which has individual gain and crossover.Single Amp for all? - Page 2 -- posted image.
at any rate, thanks everyone who offered advice, especially DYohn, I am learning alot and with any luck my ride should be bumpin by the weekend!
Later
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Yes the amp is the new power series 3002 Rockford Fosgate amp... I'm sure he just came back from an RTTI training where ron trout showed him how to hook up 20 P1 12" woofers and 2 PR. of 3 way 6x9's so do the math thats 32 speakers off 1 300 WATT AMP!!!!!!! This lil amp is awesome! I did a similar amp install in a boat...

Since its a 2 channel amp you will loose your front rear fader but many people do not care about this feature anyways... He will run both left speakers to the left channel and both right speakers to the right challed capped off with (DON'T QUOTE ME like 200hz caps) I'd have to check at the shop to be positive there from the install edge... then bridge the sub as normal left+ and right- and use one of those big ol' coils inside the box to cross over at like 80hz and down...

At the RTTI they had this set up playing some loud music not just like classical with a few bass notes here and there but some serious rock and techno and the amp loved it... Never shut down with 32 speakers drawing off it... It sounded like a concert (almost) with 20 12" woofers paired in ported enclosures. Rockford dealers could purchasse this set up to display in their shops and show off... Trust me when you show a kid what an amp that sells for (DON'T QUOTE ME AGAIN I ONLY INSTALL SO MY PRICES MIGHT BE OFF? $399.95) can do 99 times out of 100 the kid is sold on the amp... its just the awe factor...

He's not lying to you and it can be done with confidence and a fairly low budget... But you can get a 5 channel amp or whatever you want? All i'm saying is that i've seen it done and you won't be dissappointed

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Of course it can be done.  Any amp can power any number of speakers as long as the impedance loading is correct.  Just look at line arrays.  I was only saying it is a STUPID idea IMO to do this specific install, especially when you toss a sub-woofer into the mix, and to expect anything approaching good sound quality in the vehicle.  There are far, far better ways to accomplish a good install in a car.
Support the12volt.com
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
oh most definately! I just misunderstood and thought that u guys thought it COULDN'T be done I was just here to back up what the installer told cold... sorry for the mixup i'll shut up now
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
That's cool, BoominRolla, it's good to hear what's going on in the industry.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
cold 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
BoominRolla, that is exactly what the installer told me; the story about the 'wall of speakers' demonstration. It sounded overblown, and far too specific for my needs. It could be done ,yes, but you lose fade and the ability to adjust the sections of the system separately. The system could therefore be called 'all crossover' as that is where much of the adjustments are coming from. The 32 12"s idea is just a demonstration of what can be done, to show the amps true character. In real life, not flexible enough.
The installer was trying to save me trunk space, and I think he just had a hard-on for the RF3002 and he just wanted to show off this impressive bit of technical data.
A quick update, I went down to the shop this afternoon and had a long chat with another bloke that works with the installer who originally recomended the RF idea[who had left for the day]. He also brought up the now infamous Ron Trout training session, which these guys must use on alot of customers. So in the end I decided to go up to a 5 channel Eclipse amp(100x4, 500x1) to run the whole lot, so I can have more control over the gain of each section and it's actually a little smaller than the Quart amp I bought to match the sub so it does save space. the Eclipse RMS power output is only slighty lower in the sub section than the Quart, the other power matches my components and rear speakers perfectly.
Big up BoominRolla - don't shut up, you represented on that one!!!Single Amp for all? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic