icon

Whats better, 2 12's or a 15

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
irishbadboy21 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
I am designing a system for my friends car and he has a limited about of money to use on subwoofers..my normally thing is using a pair of 12inch subs, but would the difference be if only 1 15in sub was used instead?
James A. McCallen
Firstnbass 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
if they are the same make and model the 12's should do better depending on wattage, youll be moving move air with 2 12's, now if your looking to dip, you may want the 15 in its max enclosure, my thoughts any way, good luck
*ALwaYs KnoW YoUr SaLEsmAN!!*
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
if you take 1 15" sub and 2 12" subs and put the same amount of power to them the 15 " sub will be louder due to the fact that your 15" sub will be moving twice as far because you will not be sliting the power between the subs like you would be with the 12"s check out www.ikesound.com you can get you can get a good 15" sub for under $200
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
wardrebel 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
ok i thought if you ran more cone area you would have more sound pressure i was allways told every sub you add to a point would increase by 3bd given proper power so i would say 2 12s would be the way to go and you could try to go to http://sonicelectrnix.com/index.php and you may find some good deals on subs
live loud
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
Really they would be very similar volume wise, in my opinion the 12s would be slightly louder (or at the very least will create a little more vibration) due to the larger cone area.  However, most people I know have a hard time going back to 12s after having 15s, they are a little slower and sloppier in general but the depth and the lows you get out of a fifteen are purely addicting.
Firstnbass 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
First, I have to address where you are purchaseing your product due to the links listed above, Buy the piece you find to be most effective to you price wise and proformance wise, then purchase you part from a LOCAL dealer. These internet sites give you great pricing but the product may be and usually is Remanned or repaired, used or just trash. All the BIG company's have very strick regulations against the sale of their products by persons unauthorized, or unless an AUTHORIZED internet dealer, the parts will not come with a wanentee, either expressed or implied. Know your salesman! Kepping the local shops up and running is where all the expertise comes from on this site. And when your in need of help those internet guy are going to disappear. or never answer the emails, Just a warning
*ALwaYs KnoW YoUr SaLEsmAN!!*
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
someone wrote:
However, most people I know have a hard time going back to 12s after having 15s, they are a little slower and sloppier in general but the depth and the lows you get out of a fifteen are purely addicting.
That's unture. A 15 can be just as fast as an 8. It all depends on the motor driving it.
I've seen eights that were very slow(muddy), and I've seen 15s that would crack like a whip(fast)
Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

i have some questions are you going for SQ or SPL  ? what amp are you going to run? and what vehicle is this setup going in ? these are some things that will effect what would be the best choice

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

God, you guys are killing me. Making general statements like " a 15" would be twice as loud because your not splitting the power in half " and " every time you add a sub you get 3 db" have no factual foundation what so ever. Box size and type, drive motor ( voice coil and magnet ), impedance and cone/surround have SO much more to do with quality and level of sound the cone diameter. Poorman started to scratch the surface with his answer. Go to your local indpendent dealer and listen to ported vs. sealed enclosures. Listen to single vs. multiple drivers. Listen to a single more expensive sub vs. multiple cheaper ones. This will start to answer your questions.

A couple of notes, the most efficiant box on my showroom is a triple 12" W1V2 JL sealed box ( so much for splitting up power )

The best SQL box on my floor is a single JL 12" W6V2 sealed box ( so much for theorys )

Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTEA couple of notes, the most efficiant box on my showroom is a triple 12" W1V2 JL sealed box ( so much for splitting up power )[/QUOTE] what i was trying to say. was that if you were to take 2 12" svc and a equal 15 dvc sub and run the same amp at 2ohms with the 12"s and the 15" sub in the correct enclosures the 15" sub would produce more SPL  if this is incorrect i am always more than happy to learn somthing new
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic