Location of crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
isfan 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I'm new to car audio and I'm almost done with my installation...maybe another week or two, depending on my schedule. I'm really depending on professionals like yourselves to steer me in the right direction.

Here's my dellema; I've routed the power cable on the passenger side, the audio connects down the middle and all the speaker wiring along the driver's side.

Now, I've built an amp rack to hold a DA D7152 with the crossovers just to the left and right of it. The speaker wires going to the crossover that sits to the right of the amp will have to cross the power and ground cable and be within inches of their connecting point to the amp and there is no other way to route due to the design of the rack.  I can't believe I've gotten this far and totally forgot the rule about about keeping speaker wires away from power cables, DUH!!! Location of crossovers -- posted image.
My question is, will I definitely have audible interference? I heard/read somewhere that if you must cross these wires, cross them at 90 degrees...true/not true?
In case anyone needs to know, I have diamond hex front stage with hex midbass for rear fill via the crossover's RAF (Rear Acoustic Fill) feature. Power cable is 4 guage as is the ground cable and I'm using 16 guage speaker wire.
Please advise!
Thanx

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
well, it's not really a rule to keep the speaker wires away from the power cables because the signal is amplified already. SO any noise that gets into the signal there really won't be heard.
Whereas RCAs carry an unamplified signal. If noise gets into the signal at this point then it'll be amplified with the rest of the signal. SO it will definately stand out.
So basically you're fine
isfan 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
well, it's not really a rule to keep the speaker wires away from the power cables because the signal is amplified already. SO any noise that gets into the signal there really won't be heard.
Whereas RCAs carry an unamplified signal. If noise gets into the signal at this point then it'll be amplified with the rest of the signal. SO it will definately stand out.
So basically you're fine

This is good to know...big sigh of relief!

I appreciate the quick response.

Thanks!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic