Using FG to ensure a seal on MDF enclosur

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Shift_nismo 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys (& gals - maybe),

I built a subwoofer box out of some 3/4" MDF, mostly straight sides, which is why I didn't make completely out of FG.  My fear is that the enclosure is probably not a completely sealed box right now, so my question is, is it realistic that I can use fiberglass on the inside of the enclosure to ensure a sealed box?  How many layers should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Firstnbass 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
First did you seal the enclosure with silly cone? if so you should be in pretty good shape,
As for the firberglass to seal the box, you sure could, just paint the corners and everything if you'd like with resin, while thats wet go ahead and feed the matting into the corners 2 layers of med weight should work fine. Just make sure you have no air bubbles in the fiberglass or it will leak, after that if you have the whole thing covered in resin you could fill it with water to see if it leaks, or if you have any left over smoke balls from the 4th of july you can close off the holes and put a few of those inside their, if its not sealed you know. good luck
*ALwaYs KnoW YoUr SaLEsmAN!!*
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
I personally wouldn't use resin the seal a box. It's just not a sealer in my book.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Firstnbass 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
resin is definatly a HARD substaince and if to thin or used alone may crack, but coupled with the matting you'll have strong corners, But as I said before did you seal it with silicone already? if so fiberglass over the silicone and your good to go, the way i look at it is as long as your sealant does not crak, and as long as it can hold smoke or water, its good, but i agree with the guy hiding from snap on, resin ( when used alone) is not a sealer.
*ALwaYs KnoW YoUr SaLEsmAN!!*
Shift_nismo 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, i've used silicone sealant already, just trying to ensure a tight seal. :-)

Thanks again for the feedback, keep it coming.

jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
If your using a few good coats of medium weight matting and joining it to MDF without any air bubbles u shuld be fine. The chances of an air space on every level of fibreglass on the same spot is higly unlikely.  In my opinion fibreglass isnt a great sealer without a few good coats of matting, if u wanna make sure do 2 or possibly 3 coats of matting in the cornors over the silicon seal (if ur not happy with a silicon seal by itself).  Test it though if it leaks use the fibreglass or more silicon, if not ur set. (i do actually work in a paint shop and in a professional opinion i wuld try silicon before fibreglass and then go from there, it may not leak with just silicon and it shuld provide a tight seal, depends on how lucky u are though) There are always exceptions and strange cases. Post and update me with how its going.
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
Shift_nismo 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

After finding out how strong High Temp Hot glue is, what about using this as a "sealer" as opposed to or in conjunction with silicone?

Thanks again.

Cougar.Modder 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I would not use the Hot Glue, as this stuff is strong inititally but can also become brittle over time and with BASS pumping may loosen it if not a good bond to the surfaces of your MDF. I would really go with the resin and matting it up. Did the same on my box and worked great. Good luck.
Alpine 7830 HU-4X100 W McIntosh -2X110 W McIntosh-MB Quart Q's Mid Tweets-4X10" Phoenix Gold Subs-Phoenix Gold EQ215ix-AC Epi-PG Line Driver-Phoenix Gold 1 Farad Cap -Clifford Avantguard 4-2 Ear Plugs

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic