Locating Parking Light Wire: 01 Blazer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sharc 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I am installing an aftermarket alarm in my 2001 Blazer. I have the alarm up and running but I'm looking for the parking light wire under the dash. I found the door lock/unlock wires, door triggers, ignition wire, etc. All hooked up and works great, but I need to find the parking light wire so that the alarm will flash the parking lights during arm/disarm & alarm modes.
The wire is supposed to be brown, but I cant find it under the dash. Chiltons says its brown and runs from the switch to the lights, but I cant get to the switch easily without removing the front dash.
The alarm can be set to apply either +12VDC or GND (programmable jumper) to the parking light line.
I am wondering if the dash switch really applies +12VDC to the parking line or does it apply a command to a module that works in conjunction with the the daytime sensor that controls the headlights and parking lights at night.
Perhaps I could tie into that area if I knew where that was.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
- Jim
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

It's not that hard to take front of dash off:

I use:

Parking LampL BLUE (+)AT LIGHT SWITCH HARNESS

OR if you don't want to take off dash:

Parking Lights   ...  white  ( - )   lt. blue plug at BCM ***

***This wire will not test when using the headlight switch. This wire is triggered by the DRL system. To meter the wire, start the car with the parking brake set, when the brake is released this wire will go to ground.

The BCM is located to the right of the accelerator pedal below the radio. The plugs on the BCM face towards the drivers side.

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
Or.... large square plug facing down right beside the ebrake...... light blue. Doorlocks are also in there.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
sharc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  

MO - okay, I guess I will have to remove the plastic cover under the cig lighter to gain access to that area.  I also see that the rear hatch pin switch line is going in there too.  I can detect either door opening and hood opening but haven't tied into the rear hatch pin switch yet. I am using diodes to isolate all door triggers.

Gus - I have seen the connector you mentioned.  This is where I tied into the door lock/unlock commands.  I'll have to look again, as it seems the lock line is also Lt. Blue.  I know there are several Lt. blue wires, but they all seemed to show the same thing... +12VDC when pressing the lock button.

I picked up the pink ignition wire at the ignition connector.

I am wiring up a 2-way paging alarm... everything I have hooked up so far works... just need a to connect a few more wires to complete the job.

I also have window roll-up modules and Passlock II bypass module for remote start, but I think I will pass on those for a while.

I'll use my DVM and probe those blue wires again tonight.

Thanks,

- Jim

sharc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

Well, Gus was right.  There was two Lt. Blue wires going into one connection on the square connector that indeed went positive when I turned on the parking light switch.  Strange that the lock wire is also Lt. blue.

Anyway, I tapped into one of the Lt. blue wires and ran it to the internal parking light relay of the alarm and it worked just fine.  Lights flash once when arming and flash twice when disarming.  The only oddity that occurs is that when you disarm, the alarm flashes the parking lights twice and then they come back on for 30 seconds before tuning off.  This is normal and is controlled by the alarm.  The bad thing about this is that the headlight  "on" warning device chimes during that 30 seconds and its annoying.

When you arm the alarm, you will hear one chime out of the headlight warning device and two chimes when disarming.  It's not annoying, because its brief and it sounds when you are outside of the car.  It's also drown out by the alarm's chirp.  What is annoying is when you open the car door after disarming and the chimer goes on for 30 seconds.  Its annoying when you are trying to talk with someone with you in the car.  I think the chime will stop if you start the car.

The way around this was to go into the programming mode of the alarm and turn the 30 second delay off.

There probably is a way to leave the 30 second light delay in without sounding the headlight warning device.  I'm wondering if the parking light switch simply sends a +12VDC (low current) command to the BCM which actually applies the +12VDC (high current) to the parking lights.  Perhaps tieing into the output of the BCM would bypass the headlight warning device....but I'm not sure.... in any respect, turning off the delay in the alarm did the trick.

I'll still take MO's advice and probe the BCM to pick up the rear hatch pin switch.  I'd also like to activate the dome when disarming.  While I'm at the BCM, I'll probe the brown parking light wire at the BCM.

Thanks guys!

- Jim

sharc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

I wanted to point out that MO was right too.  The Lt. blue wire he mentioned connects to the connector that Gus referred to.

Thanks to both of you! Locating Parking Light Wire: 01 Blazer -- posted image.

- Jim

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
The headlight buzzer is post anything... switch, BCM....
It there to remind you to turn yer lights off, so of course it will make noise when the door is open, and the lights are on. One could get rid of this 2 ways:
1) Open up BCM or whever the buzzer is, desolder it, and throw it far..far away. Of course, your lights on or keys in ignition warning disappears forever.
2) Interrupt the door trigger feed for the 30 or so seconds that the lights are on..... need a relay, a timer, some creativity.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic