icon

Will this work or em i in trouble?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Warrior420 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

ok so i have a 97 Dodge interpid and just aquiered a 1600watt Legacy 2 channel Amp from a friend that couldnt pay me back with money... and i have this sub laying around my house... a real beeter Roadmaster Barral Sub 10inch..  ( have no idea what the wattage is guessing 250) and im wondering... em i going to blow this sub/ my amp?

the sub i got i got from the same friend like 5 years ago.. and i have just had it im my room briged betwwen my stereo.. and when my friend had a amp to this sub ( 5 years ago , not the legacy).. it sounded  ok.. ( just a hummer really)..

a week ago before i got the amp... my friend wanted to compare this roadmaster to his infinitys for laughs.. so he bridged the amp (legacy) to this sub.. and it ran ok for 30mins or so.. then we un hooked it....

my amp wireing kit will be coming soo in the mail.. a kit rated 1800 watts...

if it can be done and done in a nice mannor... what should i look out for?
if im going to fry something.... tell me... please
if you tell me im in for a world of hurt ill wait and then buy some real subs....
2nd question... this amp.. is it a "good" amp.. my friend had it with his Infinity 12.1Ds (2) and it sounded great.. but the subs are rated max power more then the amp...  is it better to have subs that have a max power more then the amp?... it seems like the subs will fry the amp... em i just thinking wrong?...

thanks

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Well, there are a few questions here. First off that amp will not come near 1600 watts. That number is the peak power rating and it is a Legacy. Legacy is not known for its quality. Now I am not dissing your gear or putting it down, it just happens to be bottom of the barrel stuff.

Try the amp and sub combo. Set your gains properly and you will more than likely not have to worry about a thing. Make sure you fuse the power cable accordingly ( use the chart to the left here) and use a good ground.

Generally you want to match an amp rms power to the subs rms power give or take some wattage and enclosure types.

Warrior420 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

oh i know about the quality of this amp.... and i figured it would not be putting out the advertised wattage...

i was also wondering... is it ok to have a speaker on each channel and a sub bridged all on the same amp?... i was thinking about getting a some infinity KAPPA 6x9s for the back.. and the RMS for the speakers are 100watts 300 peaks.. so the deck wont be able to push them to their limit.. and i got wattage to spair on the amp... ( again em i thinking wrong?.. if i do that i will be crewing with the resistance wont i..... its probly something i wont do.. but it has came to mind...

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

I wouldn't recommmend using a two channel amp in a three way setup. Either bridge it your sub or use it as a two channel for your interior speakers.

Here is the catch with what you said about the deck power and any other power. You can conceivably run any speaker off of one watt or one thousand watts. It doesn't  matter. The only differences with this is clipping or distortion, and thermal power handeling (i.e. just too much power for a specific speaker). So a deck will safely run 100 watt speakers so long as they are not clipped or distorting.

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
you dont need to push subs and speakers to there limits before you get the 6x9s get some better sub/s and when you get the 6x9s run them off the deck and as far as running a sub and 6x9's with the same amp you need to run crossovers inline it's not what your going to want to do i would suggest getting some cheeper 12"s or a 15" sub from www.ikesound.com considering that you have a legacy amp  i would get some lower end subs like some lanzers or some legacys build a box to the right specs and get the 6x9s later
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Warrior420 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

i got a 2005 Sony MP3 deck... i like it..  i hope it will do fine

Sony CDX-S2210

Warrior420 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

trust me i know i need some subs... im just sort of eager to get a little bump in my trunk... ill probly buy the Infinity 12.1Ds from my friend which he was using and it really sounded great...

what is your opinion on these subs 

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

that will be fine . if it has sub preouts use those for the amp and if it has a built in crossover use the H/P and the interior speakers will last a lot longer and sound better if they are stock it will also help with new 6x9's good luck

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Warrior420 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
ok yeah... as long as this one sub will be ok with this amp.. if this amp will be ok with low wattage.... im ok.. thanks for all your help
Warrior420 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
i forgot to ask.. how should i set this sub up?.. should i just have it bridged on the amp?.. or on one channel...?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic