icon

Durango Center Console Progress, Pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jorknow 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
very nice! I hope to make a custom fiberglass console my self, maybe even a dash if I have the time/money/expertise. I think the console would be easy, nothing like a dash. I have an Isuzu Impulse though, VERY VERY rare to find an uncracked dash, so many people have cracked dashes. Anyone here try to make a dash? thanks!
xtac1080 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 4:36 AM / IP Logged  
Righteous TCal...awesome work. I didn't bother reading any of the posts, maybe you said it somewhere, but about how long did it take for that creation? Again, sick job.
TCalYen 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the comps....

Probably took me two months working late at night being I have two little kids.

TCalYen
Benji999 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
TCalYen wrote:
Time... try pretty much working on it, starting at 10PM on... two kids, two dogs and a Puerto Rican wife keep me busy.  The passenger seat is finally in the D after about a year and a half.
Nice work man, that console is clean. I don't see how you do it, I have 3 kids and a Puerto Rican wife so I feel you on staying busy.
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2006 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

LOL... I've got two kids, two dogs... three but one just passed... AND a Puerto Rican wife....

Jezzzsusuuus... 10 pages and almost 18,000 views on this thread... unreal... I'm starting four door panel inserts soon... I'll start a new thread.

TCalYen
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2006 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

I just wanted to update this thread on "Things I would have done differently..."

I'll just list them.

- If any of you have followed this build you know that I basically used 1/2" mdf to make the whole console.  The only part that I used fleece and resin on was the front, to each side of the large lcd.

At some of the points where one piece of mdf joined another I used wood glue, screws, and wood filler to secure and smooth these points.  I then sanded these points and applied many, many coats of high build primer, and then sanded smooth with appropriate grit sandpapers.

At some of these points you can barely see lines.  I believe this was due to the filler absorbing the finish paint.

Next time I'll probably put a layer of bondo at all joining points and sand smooth but leave it a 16th of an inch thick.

- The next time I flush mount a lcd I'll definitely leave the button controls in.  It's just two much of a pain to use a remote all the time IMO.

- And finally, even though I thought I did, provide myself more room around the switch panels to make wiring and trouble shooting that much easier.

-Oh, and I'll definitely get a tank and air tools.

**All in all the console turned out BA!  I was looking at my first scetches the other day and was surprised to see that the were pretty much exactly like the finished product.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

TCalYen
Page of 10

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic