icon

amps and ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slicksteveo 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
is it possible that an amp can not put out power at a certain ohm rating, like the amp i have now will not work when i hook my subs up a certain way...but when i go hook up them up a different way it will be better...is there any way that ican fix that without buyin a new amp or anyone know what is wrong?
pioneer head unit, dual 6.5 door speakers, rear pioneer 6x9s, 2 aw1208t audiobahn subs 1500 watts RMS each, one virtual reality 400 watt amp, and one 3000 watt Boss mono channel class D amp
NicP 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
why dont you tell us what equipment you are using and what is wrong
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
slicksteveo wrote:
is it possible that an amp can not put out power at a certain ohm rating, like the amp i have now will not work when i hook my subs up a certain way...but when i go hook up them up a different way it will be better...is there any way that ican fix that without buyin a new amp or anyone know what is wrong?
No. An amp will produce power into ANY load. It may not be happy, and possibly fry, but it will try to produce power into whatever is hooked to the terminals. Low impedance loads cause additional heat, and will require the amp to produce more power, high impedance loads will require the amp to make less power...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
slicksteveo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
well i ahve a Boss 3000 watt amp and two audiobhan AW1208t subs i wired them in series parral, and i was driving one day and they just stopped hitting as hard as they did... then i took each one wired it in series with it self and hook it up to the amp and it worked, so ya idk wats wrong....
pioneer head unit, dual 6.5 door speakers, rear pioneer 6x9s, 2 aw1208t audiobahn subs 1500 watts RMS each, one virtual reality 400 watt amp, and one 3000 watt Boss mono channel class D amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
What's wrong is your impedence load it too low for the amp and it's shutting down, probably.
Support the12volt.com
slicksteveo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

b/c i have the two audiobahns wired in series parrallel they are DVC 2 ohm, and i wired them together to go to the amp? would that be the problem the amp couldnt take that ohm rating? it was working wonderful for about 3 or 4 months

hoaxs 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

the amp was holden up but slowly going bad, it propley doesn't have protection switch for low ohms it just keeps going till it dies.  but as i see your set up, you have two  1500 watt subs and a 3000 watt amp.  the amp might not be rated a true 3000 watts of rms power, so you might be  over powering it with the two subs drawing to much power.  anothere thing how  big is your power wire it might need more current, and check your gound make sure its a good one.  check both power and ground wires so the amp can work as effecitly as possible and that might be your proplem.

Hurry get me a steel hanger, elec tape, zip ties, a monkey and a snorgle. trust me i've ran wires with less
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
I could swear we told you to get rid of that amp months ago,    
But anways, I dont think it is a impedance problem, you would have a 2 ohm load, this amp should handle it.
you should test both subs, see if all the coils are meausring with the right impedance
If the subs test fine test the amp, using a test tone use a multi meter to test the voltage on the output of the amp, have the speakes disconnected during this process.   See if there is any irruglaur jumps or dips in the voltage on the outputs
test this and see where this gets you
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
slicksteveo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
so how do i test it i ahve one of the meters but wat do i go and set it at? and how do i test the speakers? i got how to test the output on the amp

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic