icon

mdf fiberglass box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fr33w0rld 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
i am building a box for my 18" Ma Audio Hard Kore sub. it's a 6.3 cuft vented encloser....it's made from 3/4 MDF..i am ribbing the sides and bottom of the box and then going to use 9 oz fiber glass to re enforce the box so it's 100% air tight and it wont flex...i am planning on making a fiber glass top to the box..is 1 layer of glass going to be strong enough or should i put 2 layers down? or possiblt put some fiber glass then some kevlar then some fiber glass?
05honda 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
most people use 7 layers of glass.....if it is strong enough not to flex i would add a layer just incase but it should hold if it doesnt flex
fr33w0rld 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
when u say most ppl...how many ounces per yard are they using?cuz i got a pretty thick weave..or does that even matter?i know 7 layers is for strctual support objects..
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
If you want strcture use 1.5-2 ounce chop strand mat to do your build up in place of a woven cloth. Save the cloth for the last layer of the finished surface to save time on finishing. If you do it like this you will not need to use as many layers, this will save you time and money.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  

Man if you got 9 oz fiberglass I would do two layers and let it dry then do the thumb test and see if it works. If so your good if not lay down some more layers. With fiberglass that thick I think two layers are probably going to do it.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
fr33w0rld 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

what i think i am going to do after a lot of reading thru the fourm is get some chicken wire and mock up the top of the box after the inners have been glasses and kinda use that as a frame work to lay the glass on. i could put some ridges in the top to strengthen the top.

HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldnt use chicken wire, I would stretch some fleece over it and cover the fleece in resin.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
fr33w0rld 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
don't have any fleece i have 9 oz fiber glass mat
HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
devil_909 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
What he means is if you have made the box out of mfb then stretch fleece over it and then resin. Then you can add your fiberglass. If you do not have fleece, then you can use any kind of stretchy cloth as long as you add enough fiberglass to make it strong. While chicken wire would work, it is not the best way to do it IMHO. If you have the basic shape done in mfb then it should be no problem to do the fleece part
TCalYen 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

devil_909 wrote:
What he means is if you have made the box out of mfb then stretch fleece over it and then resin. Then you can add your fiberglass. If you do not have fleece, then you can use any kind of stretchy cloth as long as you add enough fiberglass to make it strong. While chicken wire would work, it is not the best way to do it IMHO. If you have the basic shape done in mfb then it should be no problem to do the fleece part

x2...

I know you'll be kicking yourself when your trying to get a flat, level surface when finishing if you use chicken wire.

TCalYen
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic