the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

4 12'' type R’s sealed, what do ya think?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
heres the deal...i have 4 alpine SWR 1241D's in a 10 cu. ft. air space vented enclosure that i built for a local competition...worked great...won...everyone was happy...but i kinda want my back seat back and was wondering if any of the box gurus out there had any reccommendation on a sealed box for the four of them...or if you know how much each one should have per spec...thanks
bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

i'm sorry...swr 1242D's...my bad

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine recommends .7 to 1.0 cubic feet per woofer.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
You wont get your seat back takin 4 in a sealed over 4 in a ported for SPL. For SQ, yeah, just make a good size box (5-8 cu ft sufficient) just get clean power to it!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine R series woofers bottom out very badly when put in a box that is too large.I've discussed this with the designer of that very sub. He recommends .7 to 1.0 cu. ft. per woofer. That would make the box 2.8 to 4.0 cu. ft. total.
bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
i agree tcss...most subs do sound like a** in a box thats too big...in my vented spl box they only had 2.5 cu ft per sub...i appreciate you getting those specs...i remember them now...but i couldn't find them on their website and i threw my boxes out with the manuals after i built the last box...even with 1 cu ft per sub i still got plenty of room to get my back seat back...thanks a lot...next question...i always try to put subs on the same plane but if i am to actually use four in this instance i will have to put two on top and two at the back of the box due to space constrictions...but i can still get the desired air space...think that will be ok?
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Should be fine if you have an individual chamber for each sub. Sometimes this creats a slight out phase situation let me know how it turns out.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
install is the key. Build the box right and you'll be happy. You still won't take back an SPL seat with a sealed box v. ported (especially type R's).
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
what do you mean "you still wont take back an spl seat with a sealed box v. ported (especially try r's)???i'm not trying to win any comps with this box...this will just be for my daily driver so that i can have my back seat back again...thanks to both of you for your replies also:)
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
you stated that you won a local competition with them ported. I'm saying don't coun't on winning one with a sealed enclosure for SPL comps. SQ, perhaps. That's all.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic