icon

Speaker question.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

I've made a few threads here before and alot of you seemed to be very helpful, so I decided to come back with another question.

I've talked about getting the CDT Ef-61 speakers for my doors, but I haven't got a chance to get them yet, but here in a week or 2 I'll be able to get them along with the amp. My question is, will they fit in any 6.5" slot? I drive a '97 Saturn SC1 and I wasn't sure if they were too big for my type of doors. The height wise. Or will any 6.5" speaker fit in any 6.5" slot? Just wondering.

My other question is, after getting those, will there be a need for a rear fill? This is my 3rd system and I've always had rear fill, and I think it sounds better with sound from the rear. But I've never own anything "good" like the CDT's. Should I get rears or would the CDT's put out enough sound? IF I get those CDT's, and I still feel like I need a rear fill, what would be a good set of 6.5" (my rears are 6 1/2 too) that would put out some decent sound? I don't want to spend over $150 on rear speakers, but something worth the money & clean sound.

So that brings me to my last question. If I get the rears, what would be a good 4-channel amp to power the CDT's and the rears? Or should I wire the rears off the deck? I don't really want to, but if I have to then I will. And what specs should I look for on a 4-channel amp to power the CDT's AND the rears?

I got all my equipment and it sounds great for my liking, I'm just missing my front/rear speakers to give it a cleaner/better sound.

Thanks for the help in advance.

eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

also forgot to add, right now i got some cheap pioneer speakers (front and rear) that I got from wal*mart last year. so basically anything you guys mention for my rears will sound ALOT better than those.

i just need some tips.

glacious 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
CDT, I am not really familar with those speakers, and frankly, I really couldn't tell you much. But what I will tell you is this. To the speakers in the back, any brand would be good. Try to find something that kinda matches the qualities of the front ones. Like I said, I don't know CDT. And even if your system sounds good with just the front speakers, when you add the back ones, you kinda get the "surround sound" feeling. As to an amp. Well if you are just going to power those two sets of speakers (front and back) then get a four channel. There are too many out there to name, and I am partical to Rockford Fosgate, so I really couldn't answer tha question properly. Hope this helps~~
jp
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  

My opinion is that  you use only speakers for rear fill that would also sound "good" as the front main speakers.  For example, using the previous front speakers or like quality when you upgrade to better mains.  But if your current speakers are from Wal Mart, you can forget about that idea!

I  had two sets of Pioneer 6X8s as replacements for the OEM speakers in my personal car and replaced the mains with CDT components.  I left the rears in place, attenuated them a bit more than the way I had it before the switch, and the overall sound is very good.  I've listened to a few different models of Pioneer coaxials and found that the ones I have sound good but the others were lacking (guess I got lucky that day on Ebay...).  In your case, use a pair for the rear that you appreciate for their quality in and of themselves.

Use any good quality 4 channel amplifier for the two sets.  You can adjust freq response and gain for each pair.  As opposed to what glacious above said about getting a "surround sound" type of effect, I believe that the best use of rear speakers is to have them attenuated to such a degree that even when sitting in the rear seat (of a common sedan) that the front main speakers are still heard as the primary source of the music.  In the front seat, the rears should just be loud enough to bring the music up in the front to windshield level.  That provides the best soundstage.  In my instance, the fronts get up to 65 watts where the rears are probably only getting 20 or 25 watts by use of attenuation.  That's just a guess, of course, as it was adjusted by ear.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
eklipz17 wrote:
I've talked about getting the CDT Ef-61 speakers for my doors, but I haven't got a chance to get them yet, but here in a week or 2 I'll be able to get them along with the amp. My question is, will they fit in any 6.5" slot? I drive a '97 Saturn SC1 and I wasn't sure if they were too big for my type of doors. The height wise. Or will any 6.5" speaker fit in any 6.5" slot? Just wondering.
I hate to tell ya this and I'm not how experienced you are at installing speakers, but these speakers are *huge* for 6.5's... very wide, very deep. Big magnet. I kid you not I bought a pair a couple of weeks ago and could *not* get them into my rear deck. Even after fabricating an MDF mounting baffle the speaker basket was SOO wide that I couldn't get it into my rear deck *and* keep the speaker from smacking the speaker-grill at the same time. I spent like 8 hours screwing with 'em before I gave up and installed a pair of 5.25's instead.
The 5.25" iteration of these speakers do, however, sound absolutely outstanding so I imagine if you can get 'em in you'll be quite pleased.
Here's a great rear-speaker for that system too eh?
http://www.thezeb.com/c-Classic-Full-Range-7787.htm
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic