icon

sub blow thru

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrjc480 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

Im toying with ideas for a sub enclosure with 2-12"s in a 05 standard cab silverado.  These are a few ideas I have so far.  Im gong for SPL so if you have suggestions let me know

1. Build a Bandpass box in the bed and extend four 4" ports into the cab

2. Build a sealed box with the subs facing the cab and use ports to get the bass to the cab

3. Build a sealed box and have the subs facing in and towards the front and cut a 1' x 1' hole though the bed and cab and use some sort of weather stripping.

Im in Phoenix, AZ so rain it the least of my worries.

Im moving to MEXICO and Im not speaking spanish!
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
mrjc480 wrote:
1. Build a Bandpass box in the bed and extend four 4" ports into the cab
A friend of mine did this with a 12" and some flex-tubing to get bass into the cabin of a drop-top Miata. To be honest, looking at your ideas and thinking of your options, this has got to be the *only* thing I can think of.
This sort of thing could take *alot* of trial and error.
I wish I could tell ya how the results were, he plowed the Miata into a Volvo like a week after he put the box in and I never got to hear it.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
 I have had alot of success doing complete blow throughs. Using a plasma cutter cut a window through the cab of the truck into the bed. Its very time consuming and it voids any warranty you might have had. its extreme customizing but thats the way to get killer bass out of a standard cab truck.. I have also seen people put caps on and take the back window out and put the enclosure there.
sneakycyber 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

P.S. Its a big decision to cut your truck, take your time making your decision. There are alot of other options you may want to take a look at, such as stealth boxes or custom fiber glass enclosures. Once you make your first cut theres no going back sub blow thru - Last Post -- posted image.

mrjc480 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
The truck is bagged and lays on the ground so chopping it up is not a concern.  I am just curious as to how my ideas will work.  Will  these boxes radiate bass into the bed or will it mainly stay in the cab?  Is it okay for ports to extend out of the box 4 or five inches?
Im moving to MEXICO and Im not speaking spanish!
sneakycyber 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
The sound will resonate throught the port and no it doesnt matter if the port sticks outside of the enclosure. The only difference in placing the port on the outside vs the inside is port area displacement (kinda like basket displacement for the woofer). The closer the bass frequency is to the tuning frequency of the port the louder the out put will be. So choose your port tuning carefully. Once the bass frequency drops below the tuning frequency of the port you will get very little output since the subs will be in the bed of the truck. The physical opening size of the port doesnt matter its the volume of the port that effects its tuning and thus the frequency response of the enclosure. the port can be round, square, dimond shape, triangle, etc..You will also want to round off the edges of the port using a router to eliminate port noise.
blackmica3 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
I wish I had pics of my old Toyota I used to have. But it was a 1993 Toyota Pickup standard cab, bagged. We cut a hole about 9" high by 36" wide in the bed and cab. We joined the two using accordian boot. I had two JL Audio 12" subs in a ported enclosure firing into the cab from the bed. We sealed the box to the bed by making a custom steel cover and spot welding and siliconing that to the bed. On the inside we made a custom amprack on the cab and was able to make the accordian boot basically invisible. It was loud as hell in the single cab PU. and looked really good. I had a place in Alabama(Jimmys Car Stereo) help me with the install.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic