the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Box from truck bed to cab.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  

I will be getting a nissan pickup soon (1993 with bench seat) and plan on turning it into a real sleeper in the stereo section.  I want to basically make the box for the subs in the truck bed and have the subs mounted just pokeing out of the back wall of the cab.  Does anyone havea  tutorial on what steps to take to make everything ridged, and such.  Im really thinking hard on an idea to just fill in the gap between the bed and cab and make it look all flush but ridged to withstand offroading and dirt bikes being thrown in the back.  

All tips, suggestions and pics are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
Some places make a gasket that seals the gap inbetween the two. All I know is that it is thick rubber, is installed with a ton of epoxy and should be done by a good shop that is proficient with minitrucks.
Why do you ask if I ate paint chips when I was younger?
rustyspring03 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201993&highlight=blowthrough
That thread has a pretty good listing of how to do a blow through. Its relatively ez concept just gotta be a perfectionist or it can be a horrible thing. Do a search on blowthrough on that site to get more info. I haven't done mine yet but this has significantly boosted my knowledge about how to do it. Much more confident now.
Rusty Spring
98 s10 reg cab
Type R 12 Inverted between seats
Type R 6.5 for doors
Type S 5.25 on the dash
Alpine MRD-M605 mono
Alpine MRV-F345 4ch
Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info.  I guess thats 1 way to do it, kinda cheap in my eyes.  Has anyone heard of welding the cab and bed together so they don't flex separately, then make a solid box from the bed to inside of cab so i can have my sub and port in the cab of my truck.  Basically i just want the box in the bed for airspace because im going to need about 8 cu.ft for the Adire Tumult 15D4 i want.

I wonder if a body shop will have some tips for me, i'll go ask them monday.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
rustyspring03 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
Because the cab moves seperate from the bed you would see a lot of torque on the metal and most likely would bend and break... usually just make the hole and then use the rubber sealant is the only real way i guess.
Rusty Spring
98 s10 reg cab
Type R 6.5 for doors
Type S 5.25 on the dash
Alpine MRD-M605 mono
Alpine MRV-F345 4ch
Alpine Guy 
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Well, if i end up getting the truck for $300, i'll have no problems with it being a test dummy truck, ,if it all works out i'll have one verrrrrrryyy loud single cab mini truck hehe. The only thing so far stoping me from buying it is the hunt for the right alternator.
damnrusiancommy 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
well i know the older s10s have the bed fixed to the cab stock my neighbor did the same thing your thinking of with the subs in the bed with the older s10 it looked good but sounded pretty horrible he did it with some 15'subs we just cut the holes threw built a box in the bed but with out the front and basicly used the wal from bed to cab as the front of the box the box was totaly sealed with bassports and the bed had a tanto cover but with all that work he blew both subs in like a week cracked th cones all the way threw it sounded pretty bad when it was all done before he cracked them because the metal wall between cab and bed was to thin and the subs actually moved the whole wall it was horrible
sha!
Alpine Guy 
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Ya that can be expected to sound bad.  You gota brace everything tight, can't have anything flimsy.  I'll be making the box in the cab out of 1/4 steel, then putting a few layers of FG inside to get rid of the metal sound that would be there, the fiberglassing will continue to the inside of the truck with a bit of an enclosure out of fiberglass there.  So mines going to be basically a fiberglass box surounded by metal.   Im looking at the truck tonight to see if im going to purchase it, then i'll go crazy from there with the plazma cutter hehe.
rustyspring03 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
why 1/4 steel... if you dont mind me asking. Wood just seems so much easier to work with. and cheaper too. But hey if ya want to go for it. I'll stick to wood where I know I can do it lol.
Rusty Spring
98 s10 reg cab
Type R 6.5 for doors
Type S 5.25 on the dash
Alpine MRD-M605 mono
Alpine MRV-F345 4ch
Alpine Guy 
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
its going to be open to the environment and have dirtbikes being tied down with all the front wheel weight pressing on the box, plus snowmachines smashing into it.  i don't think wood would last too long.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic