icon

Viper 791 Key start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Why yes yes it is. lol Viper 791 Key start - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
sopedish 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2005 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
I do have a 556U, but there is no green wire.  One harness has Red, Blue, Pink, Black, and Purple.  The other harness has a BLACK/ White, Black, and BLACK/ Red.  Which wire should I ground and should I just ground it straight to the chasis? Thanks for all the replies.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

sopedish wrote:
I do have a 556U, but there is no green wire.  One harness has Red, Blue, Pink, Black, and Purple.  The other harness has a BLACK/ White, Black, and BLACK/ Red.  Which wire should I ground and should I just ground it straight to the chasis? Thanks for all the replies.

If you have a DEI 556U.........The harness with the wires you described should have a GREEN wire for Key sense, next to Purple wire.....

Check your instructions on it:

http://www.directechs.com/guides/manuals/ig/accessories/N556U_09-04.pdf

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
If you ground it straight to chassis, then the remote start won't work (interrupts the loop circuit). You could ground it out to chassis for testing purposes....
Keysense should be BLACK/ pink, if I remember correctly.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2005 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Key Sense is
BLACK / Light Green ( + ) or BLACK / Pink ( + )
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
sopedish 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
I see where the green wire should be.  There's no wire there but there is a spot on the harness for it.  So what wire should I ground to what?  I'm thousands of miles from an authorized dealer and know only enough to be dangerous. 
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm. Before you rewire stuff, maybe experiment a little.
I am pretty sure it is true, as others here have said, that if the car sees two keys at the same time, it won't start.
I did not know that the 556U is active at all times if the keysense wire is not hooked up. That is odd. The more I think about it, the more I don't believe it----if it were true, the little relay inside would be on all night, and your battery would get drained. DEI does some unusual things, but not like that.
Anyway, as I was saying, experiment first. You want to verify if all your keys are still programmed to the car or not.
1. Unplug the 556U to temporarily eliminate it from the system.
2. Try to start the car with each of the keys you have, one at a time-------do the work now? If so, it's possible that the 556U is on all the time as others have said.
3. I know the remote starter works, but if you're particularly ambitious, remove the key that's in the 556U and try that in the ignition too. And you might even take one of your other keys, put that in the 556U, and try it that way too.
If the keys STILL don't work, then something is wrong with them or they have lost programming somehow.
But since you say they work sometimes, I think this is more likely to be an install-related problem.
Remember, for Fords, you need TWO working keys to program more. So if you still have two good keys, it's easy to fix-----if you have only one good key, you'll need a dealer or locksmith.
------------------------------------
A little about that 556U. I have just used a few of them when we ran out of our regular product-----they seem useful and versatile, but overly complicated too.
--About the keysense wire: The unit has two keysense wires; a positive and a negative.
Your Ford has a positive keysense wire (BLACK/ pink at the keyswitch or steering column), as mo said.
If you choose to connect the keysense feature (it can't hurt), read the instructions with the 556U and be sure you are using the positive keysense input.
The idea here is that when you insert a key, it disables the 556U, so the car can't see two keys at once.
-----------------------------------------------------
How do you have your 556U wired? Please describe what you have done with each of the wires. This is how it is supposed to go:
1. Red: constant, positive, 12 volts power.
2. Black: chassis ground.
3. Blue: when this wire receives a ground, the 556U turns on. It should be connected to either the blue or blue/black from the Viper remote starter------one is called "status", the other is "ignition 2". Either one of those wires puts out a ground when the remote starter is on.
(Since I do this professionally and speed is important, I simply jump the black and blue together, and connect them BOTH to the ground-when-running output from the remote start----yes, it is strong enough to power up the 556U-----but it is probably just as well if you connect the black directly to ground.)
For most installations, this is it for the 556U----all of the other wires would be shortened, taped up, and not used.
I like to just rip the unused wires out of the harness entirely, so the job looks neat, but that would make it difficult to hook up the wires later if needed.
sopedish 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

O.K. That makes sense why I have no green wire.  It's the neg key sense wire.  They have the violet keysense wire that's pos hook up to a BLACK/ blue.  So I'm thinking if I can find the BLACK/ pink and connect it to that I should be good huh?  By the way I unhooked the 556U and all the keys started the truck just fine.

ilvwhtgrls 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
the starter wire might have come undone on the key side.
Eye am so re todd did.
sopedish 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Can someone give me an exact location, color, and gauge on that positive keysense wire.  I'm having problems finding it.

Thanks!

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic