icon

Fiberglassing door panels?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
need4speed01 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
OK i want to fiberglass my door panals from scratch. (i dont have any door panals. I am thinkin of makin a mold, applying mdf's, strectchin fleece. paintin and all that good stuff. would that work?
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah man sounds pretty good. If I were you I would look up some pics of door panel installs on here. Get some ideas and plan, plan. Also when your making a mold and doing any fiberglass work do not take it off the door. The panel will not fit the same way when you put it back on if you take it off while the glass is drying.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
318ti 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
hi.  actually  i just finished my attempt at door panels from scratch.  i just posted pics on here.    i started with just the steel door, and the window motor, a blank canvas like you have.  then i taped EVERYTHING off as is on the door, and applied foil, then i glassed.  after i had a couple layers i peeled it all off and i had my mold.  from there you can do anything you want, as long as the door still closes.  just make sure you do a good job planning your design.  the parts i had the most trouble with were,
where the door met the dash when it closed (making sure the panel was thin enough so the door closed before the panel hit the dash) 
where the panel went around the door lever.  mine currently is not finished but it will be soon, if i would have planned properly to make it look like the stock trim piece did i wouldnt have to be re-doing it.
and the toughest part might be at the top op the door panel where it makes a 90 degree bend to make the top of the door panel, where the window glass comes up.  on this part i would suggest doing almost exactly what the factory panel did, because, in my situation there isnt much else one can do.    hope this helps,   
need4speed01 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
ya ive done the masking and started glassin on it. once i got that down im pretty much layin teh mdf's fleecin then glassin. i spread bondo evenly all over the surface. sand with 220,320,400,600,800 (that with all teh primin and that) then spray some fusion paint, sand with 1000 clear, 1500, clear 2000. what kind of fleece are u usina nd where did u get it.
318ti 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
i actually have tried fleece before and i thought it was too thick, it felt like i used way too much resin on it.  almost excessive.  so i tried some felt this time.  its a little cheaper.  i bought it at wal mart.  also, some people use grill cloth, and the guys at Alpine used speaker box carpet.  they say it is un backed carpeting, which i believe is speaker box carpeting.   really you can use any fabric that is slightly stretchy and absorbant.      
hey- when you get ready to attach the MDF to your fiberglass mold, tell me how you do it.  i have not had much luck with this step before, so when i made my door panels i cut a piece of felt the exact shape of my piece of MDF and soaked it in resin, and used it as a huge piece of glue, like a sadwich to attacht the MDF,   just let us know how this all works out for ya.
need4speed01 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
will do. ill take some pics. im almost doen with my mold/

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic