icon

Figuring out my system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobliss69 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Well first off, lemme say this is my first post. Hope it's not too long, so thanks for reading!
I'm trying to get a *good* SQ system in my 1995 2-door Jeep Cherokee. I already have a Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP HU and a set of Boston Acoustic RC-520 component speakers. Since I didn't have an amp when I got everything, and I couldn't stand to wait to get an amp befor messing with the speakers, I have the mids stuck in my doors playing full-range. Keeping in mind that I didn't want to mess up my new speakers (well, new to me; they were discontinued demo speakers, I believe), I would make sure not to turn it up real loud so I wouldn't be straining my HU's amp and thus sending a distorted signal to my mids. After a while I got tired of not being able to hear my music with my window down, so I faded it almost all the way to the back so I could turn it up. Now, you can only imagine what it sounds like pushing 10 year old stock speakers in the soundbar in the back of a Cherokee with a HU turned all the way up. Yeah, yucky. So, I'm out looking for an amp again to complete my system.
Because space is limited (I'm wanting to put my amp under one of the front seats), I'm pretty much only looking at Memphis' MClass amplifiers. I've decided that, if it'll work, I want a 4-channel amp so I can bi-amp my components. I've been looking at the 16-MCA3004. It's rated at 75x4@4ohms. Then I got to thinking that might be too much, so I'm also considering the 16-MCA2004, which is rated at 50x4@4ohms. I'm not real sure which would better match my components, but due to the small difference in money and more versatility with the more powerful amp, I'm still leaning towards the 16-MCA3004.
As far as I can tell, the Memphis amps don't have sophisticated enough buil-in crossovers for me to be able to bi-amp, and of course the passive crossover that came with my components aren't bi-ampable. So, I'm looking at either using my HU or buying an active crossover. As far as I can tell, my HU should be able to do all the crossover stuff I'll need, but I'm not sure. I've also been told that an active crossover would be better, but would it be $120 better? How would my HU perform vs. an active crossover?
Here's links to the equipment I've mentioned above in case you want to check it out and see some specs.
Memphis 16-MCA3004:
http://memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=13
Memphis 16-MCA2004:
http://memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=12
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4041_64496601_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent
If you'll scroll down the page about my HU, you'll see it say something about a 'PRO mode'. If you let your cursor rest on it for a second, a box will pop-up and tell you what it does. As far as I can tell, that's what I'm wanting to do with my HU and a 4-channel amp, right?
Any suggestions, comments, advice, etc. you have that you see fit to throw my way would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to active crossovers, so any comments you have about them would be appreciated as well.
Thanks!
audiobliss69
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
Boston Acoustic RC520
audiobliss69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
No suggestions? Come one...I know someone out there has some thoughts on this....
audiobliss
Boston Acoustic RC520
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

"Hope it's not too long"

It's too long.

audiobliss69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
So what should I do? Break it down into 7 smaller posts? I've always figured (and have thought when answering questions) it's good to have as much information as possible. Thus, I tried to give the background information leading up to where I am now.
Boston Acoustic RC520
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Give it some time....at least it got a bump.
audiobliss69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Hehe, that's a good way to look at it. Thanks! :D
You mean just let it sit a while?
Boston Acoustic RC520
RalphWiggum 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
What are you tying to bi-amp?? Bi-amping requires (2) amps, 1st amp for mids and highs and a 2nd amp for low freq. Get an amp that matches closest to the RMS rating for your components. AudioControl makes some great SQ crossovers and other devices you may be interested in.
RalphWiggum 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Here are the specs of you component system...
# Recommended Amplifier Power
# 20-250 watts
# Nominal Impedance
# 4 ohms
# Frequency Response (3dB in car)
# 65Hz-20kHz
# Sensitivity (1 watt (2.83v) at 1m)
# 90db
How are you planning to power the 10 year old soundbar speakers?
audiobliss69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
As far as I understand it, bi-amping does not require two amps, just multiple channels of amplification. Here's how I understand bi-amping components: 4-channel amp; front two channels go directly to the tweeters, and the rear two channels go directly to the mids (it can obviously go through an active crossover first, though). Hence I'm looking at the 16-MCA3004 to power my components. And yes, when I save up some more money, I will be getting a sub and sub amp (so far I've decided on a sinle 10").
<p>
AudioControl, eh? I'll have to search for their website and check them out. Right now I'm thinking I'm probably just going to try to use the crossover in my HU first, and then possibly get an active crossover. I'm not sure. I've even thought about bridging the amp and then running it through the passive crossovers that came with my speakers.
<p>
Thanks!<br>
audiobliss
Boston Acoustic RC520
audiobliss69 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
As far as I understand it, bi-amping does not require two amps, just multiple channels of amplification. Here's how I understand bi-amping components: 4-channel amp; front two channels go directly to the tweeters, and the rear two channels go directly to the mids (it can obviously go through an active crossover first, though). Hence I'm looking at the 16-MCA3004 to power my components. And yes, when I save up some more money, I will be getting a sub and sub amp (so far I've decided on a sinle 10").
AudioControl, eh? I'll have to search for their website and check them out. Right now I'm thinking I'm probably just going to try to use the crossover in my HU first, and then possibly get an active crossover. I'm not sure. I've even thought about bridging the amp and then running it through the passive crossovers that came with my speakers.
Thanks!
audiobliss
Boston Acoustic RC520

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic