icon

SEM texture spray

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rppngears 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  

I made a gauge pod out of fiberglass and the shape turned out great, but I am having major problems putting a finish on it.  I want it to look like the oem finish which is a textured ABS look.  I am using SEM texture spray to create the texture.  When I first spray it on, it is too rough so I need to sand it down.  When I do this it sands very unevenly and creates shiney spots when I paint it where the texture has worn away.  I've resprayed and repeated this at least 10 times each time trying different things.  I've tried sanding with 1500,1000,800.400,220 grit papers.  All produced the same splotchy uneven texture.  I have tried sanding it with and without a sanding block, its the same result.  One idea I am considering is maybe I need to use an adhesion promotor to get it to stick better so it will sand more evenly, but I doubt it since I am applying the texture over a coat of SEM primer. 

I would upload pics, but they are too large for the 30kB maximum. 

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  
You can take the pics in microsoft paint and shrink them.  Just go into image and then stretch/skew and where it says vertical and horizontal type in a smaller number than 100 like 50 or something and it will start shrinking. The less times you do it the better the pic looks. I'm sure theres a better way but thats the only way I know of.     The shiney spots are just from you repainting it. If the texture is too much, I would sand it down, but I would do it over the surface of the entire pod.  Then if you have the texture like you want it, but its too hazy for you, spray some clearcoat over it. This may or may not work, thats just my idea. Also you can hit up www.hzemall.com he uses this stuff all the time and ive seen him talk about sanding it down before.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic