icon

subs in a jeep grand cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
linkinpark1443 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

I'm thinking about putting 2   10 inch Alpine type R's in the back of my grand cherokee with an 800-1000 watt amp. Do i need to install a new alternator to run it off my car battery? my stock alternator only runs 90 amps. Any opinions or advice appreciated.

- Jared

sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
No you shouldn't need to upgrade your alternator. You only need to upgrade the alternator when you are drawing more amperage then the alternator can replace. In this case you should be no where near the limits of your alternator depending on the make of the amplifier. I do Recommend you run 4 AWG from the battery to the amp, since you classified it as a 1000 watt peak amp. A 60 amp inline fuse will be sufficent and your ground wire should be of the same guage as the power wire and kept as short as possible. Also run your RCA lines and your power lines on seperate sides of the car. This is a standard rule of thumb to avoid any noise induction from the power line. That about covers a typical install..if you have any more Questions feel free to ask. 
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

With 1000w of constant power (if that's what we're talking about) you're near the limit of what you can do with that car w/o changing the alternator.  If you add front amp(s) with comparable power I'd start thinking about it, but otherwise no, you're fine.  If you do upgrade, there are lots of good, cheap options out there.

Remember that HU has a serious EQ curve built in that boosts bass around 80 hz, so it's gonna be painfully boomy unless you replace the HU or use a x-over.

linkinpark1443 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
no, i'm just lookin to do one amp for the subs, my stock speakers work perfectly and sound great. i'm just looking to add a little more bass in my jeep
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Are you using the stock CD player?  What year car? 
linkinpark1443 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
no, Alpine CD player (i forget which model) and it's a 95 grand cherokee w/ infinity system
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
AHhhhhhhhh grandcheroke with infinity DONT EVER CUT THE FACTORY HARNES subs in a jeep grand cherokee -- posted image. Use an adapter or T-taps
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

linkinpark1443 wrote:
no, Alpine CD player (i forget which model) and it's a 95 grand cherokee w/ infinity system

Thank God for that - the stock unit would have sounded horrible.

linkinpark1443 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

sneakycyber wrote:
AHhhhhhhhh grandcheroke with infinity DONT EVER CUT THE FACTORY HARNES subs in a jeep grand cherokee -- posted image. Use an adapter or T-taps

don't worry, i had the cd player pro. installed so i don't think they cut the harness

grandcherokee01 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Pioneer AVIC-N1 Navigation Unit using the factory Infinity Gold system, and 2 500/1 mono JL Audio Amps powering 2 10W7's.  I only have a a 5 Farad Cap for it all....So there is no reason you shouldn't be alright.  I have installed all this stuff so if you have any questions let me know.
Jeep Grand Cherokee '01
Infinity Gold System
Pioneer AVIC-N2 w/ rear view camera and iPod Adapter
2 8x10 LCD Headrest Monitors
2 5x7 LCD Headrest Monitors
2 JL 10 W7's, 500\1 Mono AMPS
5 Farad C

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic