icon

switch?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smartguy10987 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
hey i need a little advice here from someone who knows what there doing. So i have many diffrent neons and other 12volt acceseries throughout my vehicle i was wondering if someone   can tell me how to out these all on there on there own switches and then have one master switch that will kill all of them if the other ones. i dont really know how to do this but i really need to find out. Alright thanks guys later
smartguy10987 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
anyone? i tried to move this to another forum but i am not sure how?
adrianspeeder 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Since I run 4x4 trucks, I don't know jack about neon lights, or what kind of power they require. Do you know wattages of these lights?
You can do what you need with either a large capacity switch, or a relay control. I can make a wiring diagram if you need it.
Adrianspeeder
'02 F250 PSD, '97 F-150, '71 F-100, '66 F-250, '93, '92, '88, '84 Broncos
Penn State electrical engineerin' major
smartguy10987 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
umm i am not sure what wattage they are but they are just ran to the fuse box tapped off the radio fuse after being connected to a switch under the dash. But since those were installed i have also added interior neon and a couple amplifiers. each of these items i know i can wire so they each have there own switch but i was wondering if there was some way so that say switch 1 the master switch had to be in the on position in order for any of the other devices switch 2 3 and 4 to work. Honestly the main pupose of this is so that if i am driving down the road and spot a cop i can turn the first switch off real quick and that would kill all neons and stop my subs from hitting to. So yeh if you can explain how to do this and give a wiring diagram that would ne great. Thanks i apriciete it.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

Lighting laws will vary depending on where you are, but generally, neons are not illegal so long as you can't see the light source, only the glow produced by them.

For the subs, you can turn the volume down, install a bass knob, or put a toggle switch inline on the sub amp remote lead.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
smartguy10987 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
here is a very picture of what i think i might need to do
smartguy10987 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
switch? -- posted image.
wranglercory 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
good attempt on the drawing
smartguy10987 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

does good attemt mean that is how u do it if so can u answer those few ?'s in the drawing for me

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

geepherder is leading you the right way.  See this "Connecting additional devices..." in the relay information. 

switch? -- posted image.

Install the relay on the sub remote wire, with the first toggle switch on the wire leading to the sub amp and lights, and in a position up front where you can easily reach it.  That will kill subs, lights and everything on that turn-on wire.  The wires leading to the various lights should be connected to the main turn-on wire after that first toggle switch (it's simply called a "connection").  Then, install toggles on each wire leading to a light that you want to turn on/off individually.  Those toggles should be near your driving position as well.

switch? -- posted image.

Main toggle is shown in brown, individual light toggles in orange, fuses in yellow, sub amplifier in gray.

(You can get by with just the first toggle switch if all you want to do is kill everything all at once.  The additional toggles are for your benefit if you want to toggle different neons on/off at any time.)

The power source can go to a 12v source under the dash.  Going directly to the battery is not necessary, but fine to do.

Check the amperage draw of the total number of lights.  Add those to the approx. 100 mA (not much) that the amp turn-on draws, and get an appropriate relay.  A standard 30 amp Bosch SPDT relay should handle everything.  The toggles can all be the simple on-off variety.

Fuse the remote wire close to the power source at a value that is greater than the sum of the amperage draw but not more than the wire should handle.  The standard 18 or 20 gauge remote wire would probably be fine, but check first.  Note also that each additional turn-on wire requires its own fuse, too.  Get a few packs of fuses and as many 99cent fuse holders as you need to do this.

There you go...a picture with the story.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic