icon

98 Grand Marquis Factory CD Changer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tronmonster 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
I got rid of my old 95 Grand Marquis at 175,000 miles and replaced it with a cherry 98 (65,000 miles---barely broken in!). The 98 has the factory Premium AM-FM Cassette, and the head unit includes controls for a CD Changer, but the car is not equipped with one.
Which factory CD Changer unit should I be looking for? What other models came with that unit?
I have checked out the wiring on the back of the head unit, and there is no empty connector where a CD Changer would connect. I am assuming that somewhere in my trunk, there is a pre-wired connector that will plug right in to the factory CD Changer. Am I correct in this assumption?
Thanks fo rsponses, in advance!
Don't wanna hear your "boom-boom," just wanna hear my "weeee-yaaah-deedle-dee."
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
check with your local Mercury dealership; I'm sure the price for that changer will be outrageous.  Your only other option is to go with an FM modulated changer; but there are no aftermarket pieces that will integrate with the factory HU
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
tronmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
My 98 Grand Marquis has the factory Premium AM-FM Cassette, and the head unit includes controls for a CD Changer, but the car is not equipped with one.
I am thinking of finding a CD Changer on eBay. Which factory CD Changer unit should I be looking for? What other models came with that unit?
I have checked out the wiring on the back of the head unit, and there is no empty connector where a CD Changer would connect. I am assuming that somewhere in my trunk, there is a pre-wired connector that will plug right in to the factory CD Changer. Am I correct in this assumption?
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
You could always add an aftermarket CD changer with an interface. Look into SoundGate, PAC, Peripheral. They should have CD changer interfaces available for that car.
Jazzy
tronmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Bump back to top, one more time.
Can anyone tell me if there's a cable somewhere in my trunk ready to plug into the factory CD changer? And which factory changer would work for this application?
Thanks!
celent 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  

My 2002 Mercury GM has a cable in the trunk for  that very purpose.  According to Crutchfield,  you can get a CD changer from Alpine or Kenwwod that would work with the Premium am/fm cassette so long as it has a CD button on the HU.  Mine has this as well, and I may go this route as the dealer wants way too much $$$.

Here is a link  http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/changers_oem.html

tronmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the response, celent.
I've gone through the trunk, trying to find the cable----I believe it's there, but I haven't found it. As I've said, I think it's there somewhere because there are NO empty jacks or connectors on the back of the factory head unit...every jack has a connector in it. I've even removed the back seat, and no joy.
Thanks for the link. Maybe there's an answer in Crutchfield's website.
celent 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  

It's amazing that the cable is so hard to find. Maybe a previous owner removed it for some reason?  Maybe you can get a tech to try to find it,  or wherever you bring the car for service.  They should be able to trace it from the back of the unit to the trunk. You might try emailing or calling Crutchfield.

Another option is to just get one of those plastic doohickeys shaped like a cassette and plug it into a portable CD player.  That's what I've been doing so far...<g>

Good luck!

tronmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Where should I find the cable? Where is the factory CD changer supposed to mount?
tronmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Where should I find the cable? Where is the factory CD changer supposed to mount?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic