icon

Momentary switch to active a relay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vadimr 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

I apologize in advance if this was asked before but I searched and could not find anything.

I'm trying to create a circuit that will kill the fuel pump and basically would automatically enable once the car was shut off. Pretty much I would like to have a momentary switch which would be power by the switched 12v in the car and a relay that it would drive. Simply speaking I would get into the car, put the key in and put it in the "RUN" position, hit this switch once and it would active a relay which would enable the fuel pump. Then the car could be started, once the car would be shut off, the power would no longer be supplied to the relay and it would open up again, therefore turning off the fuel pump. The problem I'm running into is I cannot figure out a way to keep the relay closed (proper term?) using a momentary switch.

basically the question is how can I keep the relay closed just by using a momentary switch or perhaps pulsing it? It's actually a 2 piece problem as it's supposed to turn off again once the car is turned off.

I guess i'm thinking more along the lines of a rear window defroster switch, usually it works as follows:

Press it once, it turns on the defroster, which stays on until it overheats or you manually turn it off. But once you shut off your car it automatically turns off anways, no matter what.

Thanks.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Basic Starter  Kill will do the same thing ...WithOUT the need for a extra Switch.  Can be done everytime you turn on Ignition Key....would activate Relay for Fuel Pump.  Turn Ignition OFF and Relay shuts Fule Pump  to "OFF"

If you HAVE to have extra switch....Use a LATCHING Relay

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
This might work. Try bench testing first. Put a light bulb or motor or something inplace of the fuel pump.Momentary switch to active a relay? - Last Post -- posted image.
OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
LOL. I love this site! It has everything already there!
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
check out https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp and use momentary to constant 12v (+) this will solve your prob. you can also switch configs to get a constant (-).its all there on 12 volt .com check that link out
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
That's true, if you do go for an ignition or fuel cutoff circuit, you need to be a lot more careful with the installation and selection of a high reliability relay that has rated well above what the circuit is expected to draw.
Solder and heatshrink the connections, no quickie methods.
Maybe you could wire in a parallel relay for redundancy, just to make sure.
Only reason I might go for that rather than starter kill is that it's obvious to the thief what the problem is when the car doesn't crank, and he could just go straight for the starter, which will be in a known location. Lots more variables to keep him guessing if it cranks but just won't fire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic