icon

Kenwood won't power on after removal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ckile2040 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Hi. New guy here, looking for some help. I bought a used truck that came with a Kenwood KDC-322 CD deck. There was some intermittent speaker drop-out that I thought might be caused by some loose wiring, so I pulled the unit to check the wiring harness. When I reinstalled the deck, it would not turn on at all. I have confirmed with a meter that there is power to the back of the deck. There is a reset button on the front of the unit, but it did not help when I pushed it.
I have read some posts about security codes. Could that be the issue? Would I have had to enter a code BEFORE I removed the deck? Is this how a deck acts when it has been removed without entering a security code? Since I bought this deck already installed in a used vehicle, it did not come with a manual, so I was unaware of any security codes. What are my options?
Thanks,
Chris
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that deck requires a security code which you will have to get from the previous owner or pay for a reset from an authorized Kenwood service center (assuming you have proof of ownership.)  But if it's not powering on at all I bet you have something wrong with the switched 12v input to the deck, either a blown fuse or not connected properly.
Support the12volt.com
ckile2040 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if not entering the code BEFORE I removed the deck is causing the deck not to come on (is that the security feature?), since I do have power (verified with a meter) to the back of the deck. Since the deck was already installed in the used vehicle when I bought it from a dealer in another state (and therefore do not have 'proof of ownership', it sounds like maybe I'm screwed...
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, It sounds like the previous owner set a security code.  I would check with an authorized dealer and see if they will help you out.  If you explain your situation, they should be receptive to you.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

ckile2040 wrote:
Since the deck was already installed in the used vehicle when I bought it from a dealer in another state (and therefore do not have 'proof of ownership', it sounds like maybe I'm screwed...
Remember the old saying "possesion is Nine tenths of the law?"
Take it to a dealer that sells Kenwood or a small electronics repair shop not a national chain, these people would be more inclined to help you unlock the raido if you waved a nice Fifty dollar bill infront of there face
Money talks my good sir dont let anyone ever tell you different
Good Luck

--Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
nettech05 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
From what your saying its not a code issue.  If it was it would power up and ask you for a 4 digit code once entered the radio would unlock kind of like a factory radio with code security.  Does that model have a fuse on the back where the power harness plugs into your HU if so check that.  Also there is a way for you to bypass that kenwood code thing if you have the correct remote.  I forgot the steps it has been about four years since i have had to do it all i remember is that you have to use the remote to enter in kenwoods bypass code just dont remember what that code was.
We know why your here. We know how you feel but we just want your money.
Circuit City
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

nettech05 wrote:
From what your saying its not a code issue.  If it was it would power up and ask you for a 4 digit code once entered the radio would unlock kind of like a factory radio with code security.  Does that model have a fuse on the back where the power harness plugs into your HU if so check that.  Also there is a way for you to bypass that kenwood code thing if you have the correct remote.  I forgot the steps it has been about four years since i have had to do it all i remember is that you have to use the remote to enter in kenwoods bypass code just dont remember what that code was.

Please do NOT post bypass codes on this forum.  Doing so may get you banned.

Like I said earlier, be sure you check both the main power AND the switched power.  If the deck is not coming on, either one of these might be dead, or there is a blown fuse, or the deck is toast.  If you can't figure it out, take the car in to a shop and get some help.  Cheers.

Support the12volt.com
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Nettech is correct, being a past kenwood authorised installer. With all of their units that have the security code activated the unit will power on and ask for the correct code to be entered. The head unit will then function properly untill constant power is removed again for a period of time ( I think it was longer then 5 seconds ).
ckile2040 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
There is a 10 A plug type fuse next to the wiring harness, and the fuse is good.
DYohn, I guess I'm not following what you are saying about checking the main and switched power. As I said, I have 12 Volts to the back of the deck when the key is ON or on the ACC position.
DYohn 
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
There are two power connections for most modern head units.  The "constant" power which is always hot no matter where the key is (and which is often connected directly to the battery through a fuse) and the "switched" hot which is on when the key is on or in "ACC".  Both must have +12V for any HU to turn on.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic