thermoswitch ideas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone,

I have a 2002 Saturn Sl2.  I've had an occasional problem with my sub amp cutting out from overheating, usually only after driving close to an hour.  I've eliminated woofer impedence, ground, and gain settings as possible causes.  I believe my trunk is too isolated from the interior, and gets no airflow. 

I don't want to have to drive with the back seats folded down.  I also don't think simply rigging a fan to blow across the heat sink would do the trick, because that heat would just stay there in the trunk.  I'll still install one, but it will be in addition to venting into the passenger compartment.  

I'm in the process of running some ductwork to my trunk.  I'll be using a couple small 12v computer fans (3") rigged at the ends- one pulling air into the trunk from the passenger compartment, the other pulling air from the trunk back into the passenger compartment.

Here's my question:  Does anyone have a good source for thermoswitches?  I don't want the system to kick on until the amp heatsink reaches maybe 100 degrees.

Any alternate solutions would be welcome as well. 

Thanks.  Geep.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
I would just rig the fans off of a relay connected to the amp turn on wires so they run whenever the amp is running. Computer fans are made to run for a long time so it won't hurt them to run all the time your amp is on.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.bcae1.com gives you a plan for building a thermoswitch. Look at number 65, good fun.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.mcmaster.com/ pp 496 - 503
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks,

wow, you guys are awesome.

Chris, that's how I'm going to hook this up initially until I have time to wire something up.

Dwarren, that's probably what I'll do.  I wish I understood what was going on, I only get some bits and pieces.  The circuit is designed to kick everything on at around 150 degrees, but I want it to kick on a little sooner.  I guess I can draw up the diagram and have Radioshack help me source the parts I need. 

Steve, that site's got some good stuff.  I think I'm going to try and get everything locally first, and if I can't, then I might go that route.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

geep, set up an account with them.  I did a couple years ago when I ordered unmarked Dynamat from them...just made up a company name.  I found them to be very good to order from.  They have 4 warehouses across the US, ship same day and charge only the actual shipping cost. 

It looks like they have some thermo probes that you can run back to the amp that you can set at the temp range you want.  You should be able to work something up with a relay on the remote wire...in fact, you've given me the bug to look into this myself.  I'm not having overheating problems, but I wouldn't mind working this out just for the fun of it.

SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
You might try pulling up the trunck carpet near the sides and seeing if there is an exterior vent.  Most vehicles have ones there you could pull outside air in instead of using cab air.  If you are going to build duct work anyways it might be an option.  If you want to filter the air try vacuum hepa filters, small and very effective.
Good Luck!
-Thad

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic