icon

kenwood 9152d Mono amp clipping?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spitfireguy1185 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 9152d supposedly it puts out 1000rms at 1ohm and 900rms at 2ohms it is even CEA certified but i put (1) kicker L5 dual 2ohm and wired it so it presents a 4ohm load and this weakass amp clips out...when i set the gain i have the headunit turned up to 3/4 volume and the amp is no more than 1/4 of the way up and in like 2min the amp shuts off and then like 20sec later it turns on...my friend has a 8152d and it does the same thing...i think it the amp but is it????and yes i have it on 4guage and an upgraded alternator and a lightning audio 1 farad cap.    what could the problem be?
Bass-oholik
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Your ground? Have you metered your ground?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
If the amp is clipping, then you have your gain set too high, even if it is only at 1/4.  If it's not clipping, only cutting out, check your subs/wiring with a meter.  Move the cones both ways and make sure nothing is showing a short.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
spitfireguy1185 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
My ground is good and when i swap amps to my JBL bp 600.1 everything is excellent not one problem...I think kenwood amps are bullsh!t now... i seriously doubt my gain was set too high when it is 1/4 of the way up on the kenwood amp...my subs are brand spanking new and i used high end home audio esoteric speaker wiring 12gauge so wiring and subs could not be the problem...my friend has the 8152d and has the same problem.
Bass-oholik
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
9152D is a good inexpensive solid amp. If you want better power, you need to get off your wallet and spend a tiny little bit more.... X-811D. Solid. Best bang for the buck sub amp I have seen in awhile.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  

buddy of mine had me hook up a 9152 and an L5 for him...and we didn't have a problem in the world...sounds like a problem with your sub...and he was sittin on a stock gm alt with your everyday...average...non-home audio esoteric speaker wiring...just the normal rockford crap

1987 Huffy...spinners...two 15's custom mounted to the back
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
i would take a meter and double check your wireing on your sub, make sure that it is reading 4 ohms along with the resistance of your ground, i would also take an amp meter and see how much current you've got going to your amp when it starts to clip,  you might have 12-14 volts getting to your amp but if you don't have the amperage then your amp wont perform like it should either, and it's easily over looked.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
both good points...but again i would concentrate more on testing the sub first since you said your friend has a 9152 and it did the same thing on his...this shows me that it is most likely not the voltage...it would be extremely odd if you both had voltage issues
1987 Huffy...spinners...two 15's custom mounted to the back
spitfireguy1185 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I swapped amps with an INFINITY pushing 657w RMS at 2ohms and not a problem in the world and i didnt change a thing only the amp. what does that mean...it means kenwood amps are SH!T...the kenwood was pushing 550w RMS at 2 ohms...
Bass-oholik
spitfireguy1185 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

"you might have 12-14 volts getting to your amp but if you don't have the amperage then your amp wont perform like it should either, and it's easily over looked."

so if the amp clips and the amp reads 11.8v what could be the problem?

Bass-oholik
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic