what to do after training? jobs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
str8king 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

What’s going on people?

I need some advice in the mobile install business that would help me clear something’s….

I’m registered to start mobile dynamics on the 31st of October and cant wait to start but I cant figure out what I’m going to do with my new found knowledge when I’m certified…. I have a year of experience in car audio sales working for Tweeter home entertainment group in VA but always hanged out in the back watching the installers work on custom projects and noticed that’s what I wanted to do. I currently live in Toronto but I’m planning to relocate to Vancouver this December, the problem I have is finding a job that will let me grow and experience different kinds of installs like in a custom shop, so the first question is should I be looking for a job at Best Buy/Circuit City or continue my search for a smaller custom shop to gain experience… the second question is where can I look for jobs in this field because if anyone has noticed their isn’t to much help on Monster or Snag. The last question is if there is anyone in the Vancouver area that is willing to hire a inexperience but certified installer that has great work ethics, fast learner, great customer service experience, passionate, plus real real real eager to learn and give his all in the process of growing.   Please email me at Mo_co4life@hotmail.com

live life today without out forgetting ur past and where ur going.....
str8king 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
sorry about the post first timer here!!!!
str8king 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

What’s going on people?

I need some advice in the mobile install business that would help me clear something’s….

I’m registered to start mobile dynamics on the 31st of October and cant wait to start but I cant figure out what I’m going to do with my new found knowledge when I’m certified…. I have a year of experience in car audio sales working for Tweeter home entertainment group in VA but always hanged out in the back watching the installers work on custom projects and noticed that’s what I wanted to do. I currently live in Toronto but I’m planning to relocate to Vancouver this December, the problem I have is finding a job that will let me grow and experience different kinds of installs like in a custom shop, so the first question is should I be looking for a job at Best Buy/Circuit City or continue my search for a smaller custom shop to gain experience… the second question is where can I look for jobs in this field because if anyone has noticed their isn’t to much help on Monster or Snag. The last question is if there is anyone in the Vancouver area that is willing to hire a inexperience but certified installer that has great work ethics, fast learner, great customer service experience, passionate, plus real real real eager to learn and give his all in the process of growing.   Please email me at Mo_co4life@hotmail.com

str8king 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
Well, some good news and some bad news. MECP certification really doesn't garuntee you a great job. With best buy being so closely tied to the mecp test I could see where they might hire you. But in virginia, our installers with no physical experience start at 8-9$ on hour. no bonus. Circuit city has a performance bonus and starts @ about the same price. As for custom stuff it's a live and learn type thing. No one has created the perfect fiberglass edge the first time=) nor would anyone expect them to. it's just time and practice. Good luck on whatever you choose to do, and welcome to the harsh underpaid reality that is car audio installation.. we may look cool, but we're normally broke!
Vyse 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I just graduated from Mobile Dynamics in July and stayed as an intern through August. It's a good school and you'll learn alot. Unfortunately, most small custom shops don't care if you are certified or not. Some big box chains like Fry's, Best Buy, and Circuit City do. The only advice I have is do your best at Mobile. Get your Basic and Silver level certifications and the letters for the shop and classroom. Put your resume together and take it to every shop that you can. I started at a custom shop with no experience. You won't get payed the best, but you have to start somewhere. As far as Monster.com, I wouldn't pass them over. I just got a call from LoJack today. They had seen my resume on Monster and said that they liked what they saw. I was surprised as I just posted it yesterday. Oh, and the part about installing and being broke, it's true.
skitty4fingers 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys im currently enrolled in Mobile dynamics in phoenix getting ready to graduate here in a week and a half and its true this is a good school but as far as custom work you learn the basics and then its back to the books they will teach you far more than you need to know about everything but security so dont slack off on phase 2s its only 2 days long and half of your class will fail it. at least thats how it was down here i assume your going to the one in toranto, well good luck
if you realy want to see what goes on heres are own class' site we made http://md.dkmhosting.com/
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
skitty4fingers 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
here it is as a link MD Class Site
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to skip reading the posts and tell you not to go. I recommend those schools only if your going into business for yourself.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
1994honda2005 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Ive been installing for four years now with no school experiance... this industry is all hands on. and yes NO MONEY IN IT !!!!

But we all love what we do

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic