icon

Pre Amp voltage?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ice8168 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

The amp I have is rated for .5-4v input sensitivity.  The Clarion EQ has 7v Pre out.  Is there a possibility that this will hurt the amp?  Or should I just hook everthing up and keep the gain all the way doun?

fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
depending on the unit that is rated at 7 volt is that rms or peak. but anyway no matter what you should always adjust accordingly at the amp so you dont experence clipping. you will need a test tone cd and a proper meter to pick up the test tones if you never done this befor you will need to do this by ear without the proper equipment. turn your gain on you amp all the way down and start from there you wont get it perfect but if you have a good ear you will get it close. what kind of amp are you running,what deck do you have,and what series clarion eq do you have .these all will have an effect on the total out come. just keep asking questions lol
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
ice8168 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

THe head unit is a Clarion DXZ945MP.

The EQ is Calorion EQS7744

There are two amps, both Soundstream Picasso a PCA2000D and PCA4.520.

ice8168 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

Anyon else?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
fingaz22 gave you the right advice.  Do a search on this forum for threads with test tones.  You'll find programs you can use to make your own test CD.  Listen for a clipped signal.  Chances are very slim that the source puts out 7 volts, and if it gets close to that it would probably be in a very limited area of the frequency spectrum.  Using the test tones to set gain, if you can move the amp's gain control even a slight bit before you hear the clipping noise, you will have set the gain correctly...and the amp will not be receiving excessive voltage.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ice8168 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

Its not the source unit that is rated at 7v, its the EQ.  I will search for the test tones, but I am not sure what I should be listening for as far as clipping goes.

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

Nice Amps. whats subs and front stage are running ?

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
ice8168 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

It all Soundstream equipment.  The sub are 2 Van Gough 12's. The mids/highs are Picasso PCS6.5 in the factory location, PCS4.0 installed in the lower portion of the door panel (just below factory loc.) and angled for better stage, and a TWS1.1 tweeter in the a-piller.  The 6.5" and 4" are powered by the PCA4.520, the tweeters by the HU, and the subs by the PCA200D.  All this is in a single cab silverado.

Enerything should be finished in about 2 weeks.  I know a lot of people are on the fence about the newer soundstream stuff, but I took the chance and I will report with my findings.  The mids/highs sounded great when I heard them, but I havent heard the subs.

As far as testing the SQ and clipping what frequencies should be used and what freq. sweeps?

Pre Amp voltage? -- posted image.

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

Why put a clarion EQ, or any EQ for that matter, into a system like this?  I have a theory that if a system needs an EQ then there's a problem to begin with.  Back to reality, if your'e competing that's one thing, but otherwise I'd nix the EQ altogether.

Nontheless, the SS inputs are notoriously un-sensitive.  A lot of users, including me, have to keep them maxed.  That's with a 13v output from an Audiocontrol processor.

ice8168 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I already have the EQ so why not?  You say SS are not very input sensitive, are they so unsensitive that it is a problem?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic