icon

Exploding Amplifier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mvap 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

Guys I recently bought an Earthquake ph2  2000watts mono block for (2) kicker L7 12'' 750watts rms ( each speaker). The guy from this audio store said that my speakers may not be good enough to work with the amp and that it might BLOW IT UP???,  now i must say this guy was foreign and I think he meant or was trying to say somthing else. 

Would my woofers damage the amp by not being more powerful in handling???

I love Car Audio!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
No but the amp may damage the woofers.
Support the12volt.com
spitfireguy1185 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
the 2000w i am guessing are peak and the L7s are rated at 750w RMS a piece so u would need at least 1500w RMS to get great sound out of them and the load u present matters too. are they dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm?... so the only way the subs would be damaged is if the amp would clip and the woofers would over heat and the voice coils would burn up. so if u are lucky the amp would be damaged well before the woofers...kicker builds great quality equipment...
Bass-oholik
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
what i think the sales person was talking about. was running the amp at to low of a ohm load. also some earthquake amps come with certificates. stating what power they produced .RMS at 4 ohms or 2 ohms. when tested before being shiped to a dealer.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Mvap 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

the L7's are 4ohms, the lowest on the amp is 2ohms. i should be safe i think. 

what would cause my amp to clip?

I love Car Audio!
black78ta 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
Just to add some personal experience with the L7's....  I have two L7's in two separate mdf enclosures, roughly 1.0 cubic feet for each.  I got them hooked up to a Kicker 600.1 Mono amp at 4 ohms, which is 300 watts.  To my surprise, these L7s are LOUD!  Now, I'm sure they aren't as loud as they could be with a much bigger amp, but for the 300 watts going to them at 4 ohms, these subs POUND!  It's also distortion free at very high volume levels because of the low impedance.  So, depending on the type of sound you are looking for, you don't always need to match the rms ratings of the subs.
Mvap 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
I am happy you said that because , i recently started checking MTX for subs and they have this comparison chart on there web site that displays the Vd (Volume Displacement) quality of both Kicker and MTX subs and shows that Kicker can't touch MTX.  Is MTX SUBS really that good??????
I love Car Audio!
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
MTX subs are good for spl .not the best for SQ. what type of sound are you looking for ?
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
black78ta 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
But you also have to remember, thats MTX's website.  MTX isn't going to put stuff on their website praising other brands.  Systems all depend on how they are put together and what kind of sound you are looking for.  Whether its a ported box, sealed box, massive bass or clear, precise bass.  For instance, those sledghammer boxes from MTX just SLAM! But as far as the sound quality goes, it isnt all that great.  So it depends what you are looking for.
Mvap 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry for the late response, had to go to work.   Your right Black78 ta about the website. I was thinking sealed because i think those 12's can still hit the low notes that i want also, but just in case , i going to make a ported and sealed box for myself and see.

I love Car Audio!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic