icon

wire multiple neons

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xxbafowxx 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

i have 4 neon tubes inside the car, they all work individualy, I first tried to wire them all together

4 powers to 1 power wire, then to battery, 4 grounds to 1 ground....  that fried the power wire, (didnt have fuse)

i then started all over, connected them in series (with fuse now) and if i hook 2 up, first one lights up, 2nd one lights up half way, if i hook up 3, no lights work... conclusion - not enough power, solution - thats where you come in. how do i hook this up.

I also have a undelglow kit, that works with all lights going to a distribution block thingy. and from there 1 wire goes to battery.

i got a 4 way connector to work like the dis. box, but that drew to much power.

TCalYen 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

Run 10 awg power wire from the battery (+) to a distribution block inside the passenger compartment.  I would do the same with a 10 awg ground wire from the battery (-) to another distribution block inside the passenger compartment.

This way you have a good power and ground source for anything inside the vehicle.  Run 14 awg power wires from the power dis. blk to switches and from the switches to the neons.

TCalYen
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
BTW... make sure you fuse the power wire from the battery.  I'd fuse it no more than 12"s from the battery.
TCalYen
xxbafowxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
I want all 4 to 1 switch, so would i run the 10 awg to the switch and then from switch to dis block,10 awg too? then connect all the lights to the block ( which came with, looks like 20 awg coming out the neons)
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  

What I would do is this.

Run a 14 awg wire from you power distribution block to you switch... then run another 14 gauge wire from the switch along a path such that you are able to tie in all the neons to that wire... kind of like on of those hose lawn waterers... basically a length of hose with holes in it that the water comes out of.

Each hole would be where you would tie the power wire of the neon into.  Do the same exact thing with a ground wire from the ground distribution block.

TCalYen
xxbafowxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

nevermind i got it, I had it right the first time but had the switch hooked up wrong. i have it like this now..

neon - - - -  4   B(ridge)

neon - - - - W   R----------- switch-------- battery

neon - - - - A     I 

neon - - - - Y    G

then each ground to another 4 way, and then 1 wire to a bolt under seat (neons are under seats)

all original neon wires were used to the 4 way(20 awg) then 14 awg from there.

TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  

Dude... if you're talking about a 4 way cig connector... get rid of it and wire everything up the way I suggested...

End of story.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/322095/5

TCalYen
sebtek21 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

Mate... go to jaycar electronics and get the neon driver circuit. it runs up to 15 neons. i have it in my car and it runs great.

does look like u need a couple of relays too. i made a circuit that sends a pulse to a relay and runs of a switch.

the wiring is the problem too, try using better amping cable.

cowboy21 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 4:09 AM / IP Logged  
go leds, then u can leave them on longer, and have WAY less problems
sebtek21 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah , leds are better but u gotta know how to wire them too. theyre not hard just gotta know ohms law, or just undestand resitors and current. i used ultra bright leds, they work ok. ACTUALLY, u can get noeons that come with leds instead of neoned. they work good, just upgrade the leds to brighter ones . your choice . even the neon driver circuit from jaycar can run leds, i changed it from leds to neons, it looks good when connected to my amp & sub. Cost 20$ for the kit. u wont need a relay to. have a go, tell me how u went.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic