icon

Component speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bajaclawz71 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Zapco Reference 350  that is rated at right around 100 watts per channel at 4 ohms and I am looking for a set of component speakers in 6.5".  I listen to country, rock, and rap but mostly country.  Also as far as my budget goes I would like to keep it under $400 for speakers and wires, however, I have everything I need already for wiring the amp so the wiring is not going to be expensive.   Just to throw some brands that I have heard out there what do you guys think about CDT, Diamond, Polk, MB Quart, Crystal, Infinity, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Blake

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Any of the brands you've named are excellent.  You should go to a shop and listen to them and then buy the ones you like the most.
Support the12volt.com
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
For $400 you can get an exceptionally nice pair of speakers. Especially with that kinda power on tap..
If I may, take a listen to the Boston Pro series as well eh?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
bigbully 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

go cdt best bang for the buck ive ever laid my hands on period. right now they have some crazy summer deals going on i picked up my ef series one for like 200$$ so for your 400 you could outfit the front and the back. awsome sound and as i said i always looked into them and could never believe the prices when they ran these "specials" made me kinda think low of them but i took a chance this time around AND im super happy i did. diamonds are really nice also. i, and im shure ill hear about this in the next messages dontlike polk at all. i just have never liked thier sound always seemed kinda....hard to describe here like almost fake. they seem to really color the mid freq's and to my ears i think id be able to tell if i was listening to polk's. now im not at all saying they are really bad, great build quality and look really nice, sound great also to some people just not to my ears. and yes i am a audiophile i use all super high end top shelf equip in the house. rightnow im playing with martin logans etc...

now quart is a whole different story i hate them. dont like the sound or of late the build quality on some i have sean either. i absoolutly do not at all like thier tweeters and they blow up from many people i know's experience way to easy. no matter what i did to them i just couldnt make the tweeters smooth. they were always way to harsh for my ears, but then i like super smooth tweeters. crystal actually makes some really nice stuff but 100% not the original stuff nor what it used to be still good but for the best $$$ i would go with one of the specials cdt is running now, before they are gone. how they can sell them at this price is beyond me but 199 for the ef-61's is ridiculous. if the dealers are making money on these all i can say i WOW for someone to have manufactured a speaker that sounds that good for that little of money is definatly a feat indeed

bajaclawz71 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help I decided to go with the Crystal SSCS 6 component sytstem.  I got it for $175 shipped so it looks like I got an okay deal.
bajaclawz71 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

One other thing is I have an extended cab Silverado and I my amps are mounted on the back wall.  Is it okay for me to mount the cross overs back there too or is there a better place?  My center console is already packed full from the AVIC-N2 and under the seats is pretty tight so I figured I would have to mount them on the back wall or below the back wall.  One last question...what guage speaker wire should I use?

Thanks again,

Blake

bigbully 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
you can mount them by the amps if you want to. its recc to keep them as close to the speakers as possible though. not gonna make to much difference. size of wire depends a lot on how many watts going to them. what are you powering them with?? at least a 16awg min. i use 12 awg on all my speakers but sometimes this can be difficult to run through doors etc. a good quality 16 awg will be better than a poor quality 12 awg. use a very finely stranded cable with good quality copper like a 100% ofhc type copper
bajaclawz71 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Right around 100 watts per channel.  Probably a little more since Zapco seems to be a little under rated. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic