icon

Best components for a strict budget?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
garretcar 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Need some help identifying the best component speakers for my limited, low budget of about $200.  What is the best I can do with this budget?  These will be 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 components up front.  I've heard good things about JL Audio, MB Quart, Infinity, but I don't know enough about them to decide which is best.  Obviously, I'll most likely be working with the lower end of their product ranges, but any help/insights into these or other good brands based on your experiences is appreciated.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Have you been shopping yet to see which ones you like?  The speaker brands you mentioned sound very different from one another.  Go to a few shops and listen to what's available before you make a blind decision.
Support the12volt.com
bajaclawz71 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

garretcar wrote:
Need some help identifying the best component speakers for my limited, low budget of about $200.  What is the best I can do with this budget?  These will be 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 components up front.  I've heard good things about JL Audio, MB Quart, Infinity, but I don't know enough about them to decide which is best.  Obviously, I'll most likely be working with the lower end of their product ranges, but any help/insights into these or other good brands based on your experiences is appreciated.

I just ordered the Crystal SSCS 6.5" component set  for $175 shipped.  They are suppose to be excellent speakers and rank up there with $800 dynaudio speakers.  This has come from multiple sources so I am confident that they are good.  Also CDT has some really good speakers for the cost of them.

shott8283 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
just my 2 cents.  i just installed a set of powerbass components on a jeep cherokee.  at the audio store that i take all my buddies that i install for just started carrying them.  from what i hear Powerbass is the company that actually runs the manufacturing line for companys like MTX and Kicker .. they own the factory, just started to produce there own line.  the contruction of the speakers are very nice... carbon fiber woven cone, rubber suround, nice heavy duty large mag for a set of 5 1/4 with 1" soft domes.   the front component were around 150 at the store and i was able to get him a deal for the rear 3 ways for half off...  ran them off of a panasonic deck powered by a hifonics zues 440 watt 4 channel and they SCREAMED  i was thouroghly inmpress by the sound they produced. extrememley clear sound at very high volume and a nice tone at low volume.  i was actualyl thinking of replaced my old ones in my ride with these ones... just my 2 cents though    hope this helps
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
i would suggest going out to shops to listen to the speakers because i cant tell what you like or dislike. go out to shops and listen and then go back home and look on the internet at the prices of the speakers that you liked, to figure out if the shop is riping you off. happens alot
remember all there trying to do is make money. always do your research.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Most reputable manufacturers ( like JL for instance ) do not allow internet sales. Anyone advertising prices on JL could not offer a warranty or service so comparing these prices to a legit dealer would be bogus. Jl will not even offer NON-warranty service unless you have a receipt from a dealer. By the way take a listen to JL's TR-650csi, they're in your price range.
There is no such thing as free installation!
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
CDT component speakers are the best bang for your buck. Talk to djdilliodon on either sounddomain of AIM. He is a authorized dealer and is constantly running great deals on CDT speakers.
garretcar 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

Regarding shopping..yes, I've been out looking some, but I usually run into the same problem.  What I hear in a store NEVER sounds like what  I hear when I get them in my car.  This happened a couple times before over the years.  That's why I wanted to ask for some opinions first.  Kind of a back-asswards way of going about it.

Anyway, I appreciate the input from all.  The names CDT and Crystal come up alot in some web/forum searches.   Are these speakers similar?

DYohn (or anyone else), what do you mean when you say that JL, Infinity, MB, etc all sound very different.  I don't have local shops where I can hear all of the recommended speakers like Crystal and CDT, so comparisons are going to be tough.  Are you saying that some emphasize different frequencies more, or is it more subtle than that.  Hate to bother you all with such basic questions.  If there is already an overview of such comparisons, please point me to it.   Basically, I listen to alot of rock, progressive metal, and also some jazz/classical, so I run the gambit for tastes.  I don't want some overwhelming tweeter that pierces my ears, although I love crisp, clean highs, nor do I want or need the thumping bass like you might want with some music styles like rap.  Basically I just want a clean, well-balanced, sound  - neutral I guess you'd say.  Thanks for the help again.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.thezeb.com/p-CDT-Audio-EF-61-6-1-2-inch-Component-System-108381.htm

Very good sound that fits your budget.  These have a silk tweeter that you would probably prefer over metal...according to your musical tastes.  I do, for sure.  I use the lower line Classic series in my car and I'm very pleased with the sound with all types of music.  (...my budget's stricter than yours!...)

And yes, the various brands all sound different.  Tonal quality, voicing, however you want to say it...plus the big difference in tweeter sound between the silk and the metal domes.  But a good and proper installation in the factory locations with the tweeter near the mid driver on about the same axis...and the doors well-damped and sealed...will bring out the best of any components.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
I've had pretty decent experience with JL and CDT componets and I can assure you the CDT's are a much, much better choice. The speakers sound better and look better.
Pretty much just jumped up here to x2 all of stevdart's comments.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic