icon

How Preouts Work?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
a454nova 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

I think I know the answer to this but want to ask to make sure before I cost myself a lot of money. What comes out of the preamp, in other words here what im asking. What dose the amp need to work, what type of signal? Im going to use a laptop in place of a head unit. I need to know the difference between the laptop output and what a headunit put out to the amp. The laptop is just the headphone jack and I know theyre not the same. Also what is the difference between the perouts on a tv vs a head unit. Thanks ahead for the help.

-Matt

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
A pre-amp output is a pre-amp output.  The only difference between them is the voltage level they are capable of.  The headphone output from your laptop may or may not work depending on the amplifier, but your sound-card may have a "line level" output.  Line level is a pre-amp output.  The main problem using a laptop can be introducing a ground loop, especially if you try to power it off the vehicle's electrical system.
Support the12volt.com
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
it depends on what preotus on a H/U. you can us the head phone jack from the laptop ,and do the sugrey on a set of rca's. worst case you will have your preouts a bit weak. i would get a H/U with an aux input and put the signal from the laptop in there.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
a454nova 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
A pre-amp output is a pre-amp output.  The only difference between them is the voltage level they are capable of.  The headphone output from your laptop may or may not work depending on the amplifier, but your sound-card may have a "line level" output.  Line level is a pre-amp output.  The main problem using a laptop can be introducing a ground loop, especially if you try to power it off the vehicle's electrical system.

Like noice?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, a ground loop is noise caused by the electronic component picking up inherent noise from the car's electrical system...an electrical system that includes every bit of metal connected to the car.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
a454nova 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
I got the car adaptor for my laptop and running the amps of the headphone jack there is no noice. But I think they are running a little hotter then normal. Before Ive ran the same amp off a deck and i dont think they ran hot. But everything sounds good with the laptop. I just thought that the laptop output (headphone output) is pushing the wrong way.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Did you set the gain on the amp to match the laptop output?
Support the12volt.com
a454nova 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

just to make sure. Maybe Im wrong,

The perout on a head unit is a steady line lever were the voltage determinds the volume on the amp were the laptop it all raises? This is what Ive always thought.

a454nova 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Did you set the gain on the amp to match the laptop output?

how do I match it?

redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
one thing i that would benifit u if u door use ur laptop is to get a line driver....they r cheap and they will step the preamp voltage from the laptop up to a high 3 or 4volt gain.....
Where theres is a wire there's a way.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic