icon

Pro60 mid bass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
white ram 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

Seems that these are lacking some mid punch. I like to play my music very loud and think that I have taken to much out of them to get where I want as far as SPL goes but I still want SQ. I do intend to dynamat the doors. Can I add a box or something similar to encase the mids to help the situation? Seems that I have seen some styrofoam(sp?) baffles that mount behind the speaker, would these help?

Looks like you have a excellent site here thanks for letting me join.

Eclipse head unit
Hifonics zx6000
Hifonics Bx1205d
Boston pro60
Re SE 10's in sealed box.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

First things first...and that is to get the door damping done.  Use Dynamat, Dynamat Extreme or equivalent, cover both skins (outer door and panel).  Seal all holes.  Also, if you haven't done so, make a MDF baffle mount for your mid driver.  Install the driver on the baffle, then install the baffle in the door.  The all 'round improvement in both SQ and SPL will be extraordinary.

example of baffle install:

Pro60 mid bass -- posted image.

The only baffles behind the driver you might consider after that would be for keeping weather off the speakers.  But even then you should cut out the back end so that the sound waves can travel throughout the door void.  I avoid that approach, myself.  I haven't been faced with a situation where the windows leaked so badlly I needed to cover the speaker.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
These are the foam baffles you are talking about. These are *impossible* to install in doors... I use a pair in my back deck to prevent speaker blow-out, but they really don't add any midbass, I'll tell ya that.
Speakers like the Pro60 are designed to be run infinite-baffle.... I don't think encasing them will give you better mid-bass.
Generally, complete componet sets are 'voiced' very much in the manner you are describing.. that being.. a clean sound without much in the way of low-end. This helps keep the speaker clean and gives it lotsa output... stuff the average consumer is looking for.... not prodigious midbass.
Like you say "i like to play music very loud"... to do that, ya gotta give up sumthin, and with a 6.5" componet set, warm midbass is exactly what you give up.
You'll find that pushing those speakers to give you lotsa midbass (through an eq or whatever) will just give you nastified distortion and a hollowed out bottom end at very high volume levels.
A Boston 10" ought be able to help with at least *some* of that... you could try raising your xover point on your sub... but that can be a whole different can of worms..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
white ram 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry I failed to mention that I did install the mid on mdf.

Will the soud dampning be a huge gain? If not I migh possibly be looking at adding some 8" drivers. Suggestions?

Eclipse head unit
Hifonics zx6000
Hifonics Bx1205d
Boston pro60
Re SE 10's in sealed box.
white ram 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

TTT

Eclipse head unit
Hifonics zx6000