icon

Wiring 2 JBL subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alexboph99 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys!!! I"m a newbie to this forum seeking for some help...

I recently bought 2 JBL subs (just for SQ and a little bit of thump just 4 fun), to install tehm in a sealed box enclosure. The car is a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse...

The Sub Specs:

• (2) JBL GTO1204D
  • 12"
  • 300W RMS
  • 1200W Peak
  • Dual 4-ohm Voice Coils (DVC)
  • Sensitivity 93dB

DOES THE SUBS RUN @ 4 OHMS ON EACH COIL OR IN TOTAL FOR EACH SUB?

The problem:

• 2 different choices of amps (mono blocks) to power 2 of this puppies (one or the other) 
    • The first:
      • RMS: 200W x 1ch @ 4 ohms
      • Peak: 400W x 1ch @ 4 ohms
      • RMS: 350W x 1ch @ 2 ohms
      • Peak: 700W x 1ch @ 2 ohms
    • The second:
      • RMS: 310Wx 1ch @ 4 ohms
      • Peak: 650W x 1ch @ 4 ohms
      • RMS: 500W x 1ch @ 2 ohms
      • Peak: 1000W x 1ch @ 2 ohms

WHICH AMP WOULD WE BEST SUITED FOR THE JOB?

HOW CAN I WIRE EACH SUB TO THE MONO BLOCK AMP IN OTHER TO MAKE IT WORK?

• PARALLEL/PARALLEL
  • SERIES/PARALLEL

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

-aLeX-

Wiring 2 JBL subs? -- posted image.

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
you have 2 ohm loads you can get from those subs. 1 ohm wired parelell / paralell .4 ohms series/paralell. what brands are those amps ? that has a big role when taking about power and SQ. and 4 ohms is MUCH better for SQ.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
alexboph99 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

So the subs are 4 ohms each or 2?  Is the load total for each coil or the entire sub?

The best way to go would be 4 ohm load serial/parallel connection?

And by the way, the subs come in parallel connection rigth out of the box (4ohms per sub I think). So that means that I should change them serial?

The amps are:

• Profile Baja
    • HA700M
    • HA1000M
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

Each coil would be 4 ohms.  Series/parallel is the way to go with these.  The second amp choice puts out the most power into 4 ohms so that would be the way to go between those choices...more about that.

If subs are wired, remove the wiring and refer to https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42.

Best SQ with a Profile amp is at 4 ohms, no doubt...but the power will probably not be what you expect it to be with the low-end Baja line.  Consider this:  you will have a bit of time and effort, not to mention expense...and expectations of greatness... with your new sub system.  Shop for a two-channel amp that, when bridged with a 4 ohm load, puts out power in the range of 500 watts.  As long as your car's electrical system can withstand the extra demands a two-channel amp will make on it (which will be a bit more than a mono amp, especially at 4 ohms), that might be your best recourse.  As a former Profile buyer, I'm not entirely against their use but I know they are cheap amps with a nickel's worth of value.  Respect the name of JBL and power those subs appropriately.  If the subs were bought on a Blue Light special, I'd say sure, go for it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
alexboph99 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

One question still remain... since the subs are 300W each, that mean that I ahould be shopping for a 600W amp @ 4 ohms... either 1ch or a 2ch in bridge mode? They're JBL's, I want to power these baby the way they should...

Thanks guys for all the help guys!!!! I really apriciate it!!!

-aLeX-

Wiring 2 JBL subs? -- posted image.

alexboph99 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys... sorry that I haven't been in this las couple of days, but I just got a an amp that provides:

• 720 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms x 1ch on bridge mode...

Will this be TOO much to power these two subs...??? each sub handles 300 Watts

dirt_jumper54 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
it should be fine just keep your gain levels relativly low. im sure the jbls could take the extra 60 watts each no problem
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
well that depends on the amp. and if you are going to be playing .them at high volumes for extended periods of time.also be sure to set your gains to match the preout voltage.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic