icon

rockford fosgate, opinions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
I'm with dwarren and haemphyst on this one. RF and Audiobahn become "brands for the masses". It bumnps, it grinds, and makes you the hit of the neighborhood. Great.
Age and experience has an effect on what brands you see people are buying. It is easy to see in many threads the seperation between the new guys and the veterans when it comes to brands and products. I listend to 12 different amp models before I was happy. RF didn't make the top 10. Don't play the name game, listen to what you are buying! compare!
It was a sad day when RF bought Quart.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
Quart is coming out of bankrupcy ( or receivership as it's called in Germany) and two guys are forming a company to distribute it once again in the USA. Should be interesting to see what happens.
There is no such thing as free installation!
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

oh god! I hit a perfect+40 when I was 18 just out of highschool with all rockford speakers and amps with a 14 band digital symmetry epx with MAYBE $3,000 into my TOTAL SYSTEM COST EVERYTHING! don't talk to me about "sq"...

OK price category people! you can't compare an $800 3 way rockford set of speakers to a $3,500 3 way morel set or focal, or diamond or whatever else is out there I haven't heard of yet? Thats like comparing strawberries and whip cream on Angelina Jolie to cheese fondue on ricki lake... THERES NO COMPARISON!!!...

car audio is all about opinions... you might not like the way something sounds but to someone else who isn't a musical engineer or a symphany instructor, or a record producer, it might sound awesome! You say its all noise to the "kids" thats right, whatever? if all kids wanna do is make noise and there willing to drop a few thousand in your shop that happens to sell rockford fosgate or put the gear they've already bought in the hands of your installation time are you going to turn them down? no, most normal people wouldn't. unless your rich and really don't care about business,customer service, or reputation...

Now if a man or woman comes in with his or her brand new mercedes or chrystler 300C and he or she a general surgeon or owns 26 mcdonalds in your state now thats when you may look for the "HIGH END" gear sale... companies who spend millions on speaker research and the absolute best sound money can buy... Which I still think rockford sounds awesome don't get me wrong but for the average customer what you are comparing them to is not right... Its like comparing a chevrolet cavalier to a lamborghini or a mercedes... just not the same.

chode69 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
agreed 100%.....but im still wondering how an amp that puts out more then its rated power is not a good amp. Rockford is not crap especially since  they have been in business for 25 years and have not failed. And for those who say Rockford is  too expensive for  what your getting is way wrong considering all their equipment is underrated and can put out some good quality and massive sound. AND 1 MORE THING   mmmmm Angelina Jolie in nothing but whipped cream and strarberries  great thought haha
-2x T112D2 ported box
-T1001bd amp
-T162C (front)
-T152C (rear)
-Pioneer Premier Deh-P360 Mosfet 50Wx4 head unit
-Pioneer CDX-P650 c.d changer
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
BoomingRolla, was that a perfect +40 at the Nationals or a local show? In the early days Rockford made some awsome products and I have installed plentyl of it. Orion and PPi were also the top of the list. Since then Directed has castrated the two and Rockford has gone into mass production mode.
Ok so an amp puts out more than it's rated power. At what impendance, at what distortion level, continuous or peak? Most quality amps have 1.5 to 3 db of headroom. This is to cover peaks. Most amps will put out more than they are rated. Does this make them better? The old power standard was very loose in it's rating system. This was the EIA-517B standard. Most companies set the ratings themselves. Many companies recently have banded together to form a rating standard to compare apples to apples when it comes to ratings called the CEA2006 standard.
chode69 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
Theirs still the companies that put big numbers on their amps to make people feel they are getting more that what they are buying when the amp is underrated. Im not talkig about the super expensive amps from the high end companies....im talking more on a consumer level. To me rockford is a little higher than the average consumer level but still at a good price range for the power and quality of their amps.
-2x T112D2 ported box
-T1001bd amp
-T162C (front)
-T152C (rear)
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
RF build quality has gone down hill . i remember the days of the punch 60 IX and the 200 DSM. the punch audiophile subs. thats when RF produced quality products. IMO when it went to BestBUY it started going down hill. as far as what you get for what you spend. thats got a lot to do with the dealer. for example i can go to my SS dealer in MN . get  a soundstream Van gogh 1600.2 for under $600 but then turn around go to a dealer in AZ and pay over double that . granted i don't know the dealer in AZ . but why do you have to make a $800 bucks profit off 1 amp ?
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
chode69 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Rockford doesnt have their higher end gear at best buy just a couple of their Punch amps and P1s and P2s.  Just because they sold to best buy doesnt mean that their quality has gone down. Put a T1 compared to a Power HX2 and the T1 will out perform IMO and many others.
-2x T112D2 ported box
-T1001bd amp
-T162C (front)
-T152C (rear)
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

ya the subs are getting louder. so are many companys. what i am talking about is that the punch amps and subs went into mass production. when they went to bestbuy. the RF that was good was the days of the 60IX ,200DSM,THE POWER  50 . you wanna talk about underrated amps. i hade a 60IX rated at 60 watts pounded a 15" SPL 160 . thats when RF produced top quality gear. don't get me wrong i'm not trying to say it's flea market gear. just not what it was. for quality.

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
london luke 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

I know a guy in London .he buys all the old school amps from Rockford. he sells them on and this funds his Car installs.

Second hand, RF amps from the DSM,Punch times are the best you can get.

On the speaker side,There are a few sets that I have heard that sounded very very nice.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic