96 Chevy Silverado, System Advice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
avidangler 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Everyone!
New here - found the site while searching for suggestions on components to replace the stock stereo in my 96 Silverado Extended Cab Pickup. I have an idea of a system & components to use and would like to hear what you knowledgeable folks thought of it. As to music, I listen to mostly Classic Rock from the 70's to current - my lady loves the 80's so there we are.
My truck has the 1.5 DIN stock head unit with separate stock CD below. Front doors have the separate tweeter located in front of the power window/door controls and 6"? midrange speakers in the door kick panels - Rear pillars have 4x6's but I wasn't figuring on using anything there in the new system as I consider 4x6's pretty worthless.
The place I found that had nearly everything listed as being stocked was www.Soniclectronx.com - price totals below are for new items with shipping and 8.25% sales tax added. I found the Q Logic box at www.CarDomain.com for about $175 shipped.
Here's my rough list - I'm open to suggestions on other brands/models except I'd like to stay with the Q Logic Sub enclosure and also the Pioneer HU as it fits the stock opening perfectly and doesn't have stuff that goe out like a motorized face.
Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P77DH - $261
Front Speakers - Boston Acoustics SL60 6-1/2" Component System - $250
Front Amplifier - Hifonics Zeus ZX4000 - 100 Watts x 2 chan. @ 4 Ohms - $148
Rear Sub Box & Driver - Q Logic QL-C1GMX110D (5 7/8" max mount depth for woofer) + Kicker 10" CompVR CVR104 - $175 box - $140 woofer
Sub Amplifier - either the Hifonics Titan TX1005D - 350 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms or Hifionics Titan TX1505D - 500 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms - $230 for either amp
I've never bought anything from either Soniclectronx or CarDomain - reviews I have read online for the sites (supposedly from customers) have seemed to be mostly positive. I called & talked to a person at both places - some of the stuff is covered by the manufacturers warranty (1 year) and some by a "in house" 1 year warranty. Getting warranty coverage without a hassle is the thing that concerns me when thinking of buying from places online. Any comments on this?
Is the Pioneer DEH-P77DH a workable choice as my HU? - it has 3 sets of 4v preouts (Front, Rear, Sub/Non-Fading), a High-Pass Crossover (50/80/125Hz, -12dB/Oct.) and Low-Pass Subwoofer Crossover (50/80/125Hz, -18dB/Oct., +/-12dB), and a 3 band Parametric EQ. I know it's not a exotic looking Alpine or some other big name with lots of bells & whistles but it seems to have some good features and decent specs.
slim8605 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

I bought the Hifionics Titan TX1505D from Soniclectronx about a month ago(I love this amp!). When I  first got it I thought I had a problem with it but it turned out to be a mistake made by me(everything is working now). I called Hifonics about my problem and they told me it was nothing they could do to help me because I bought the amp from an unauthorized internet dealer. Soniclectronx has a dead on arival policy but the amp has to be installed by a professional within 7 days of it arriving. Since you called already I'm guessing you know all of the other warranty requirements.

I'm not sure how what kind of system you are looking for but I had a Kicker 15" CompVR and it sounded good. Based on the 15", I would recomend the 10".

Good luck with your purchasing and let me know how it turns out!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Eliminate the Pioneer application specific cd player. Why would you want to do that? Simple, it only is going to fit select vehicles, meaning if you ever want to upgrade to something different or change vehicles, it must be sold to someone whom it will fit the exact same type of vehicle (give or take). By going to a conventional cd player of superior tonal response (the nice dig for a Eclipse), it will be much easier to move to any number of differing vehicles with far less problems.
End result will also be a system that has gone from tonally challenged to one of audio brilliance. The choice of a cd player will make or break the balance of the system.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
End result will also be a system that has gone from tonally challenged to one of audio brilliance.

Good wording!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
avidangler 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
I'd consider an Eclipse but you can't remove the face for security on any of the Eclipse decks and I really don't like the way they are styled - would look butt ugly in my dash. Another thing, what's up with their website? They say Crutchfield is the only authorized internet dealer - you go to Crutchfield and the don't carry $hhh for Eclipse.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Consider this fact. 99% of detach face cd players the owner does not take the face with them when they leave the vehicle. It is more often than not, in the glovebox, under the seat, in the center storage area or most often left on the cd player. Women are better at men than removing faceplates due to the rather large suitcase they call a purse. Out of all the customer that come into my store in any given year (and I have sold cd players since they first came out), I can count on one hand how many people actually came in with them.
Remember that a Eclipse is 100% useless to a thief once it is encoded. Dealer installed it is also replaced free of charge in the first year. Any item in a vehicle can be stolen, even factory radios get stolen as they are more expensive than many cd players. Nothing is immune. As far as how a cd player looks, I was not aware that it was a requirement to watch your cd player when you are operating a motor vehicle. Point is, Eclipse is unparalled in tonal response and ease of use, keeping your eyes on the road where they should be.
Eclipse for years has had a zero tolerance on-line retailing policy. Bought from Crutchfield, any Eclipse cd player has a 1 year warranty only and no theft deterrent guarantee.Crutchfield is also a buy the hot item kind of company, they do not carry the entire line of all the brands they carry, so they can only recommend the hot sellers which may not necessarily be the proper one for your system or vehicle. Bought from a store like mine who have far more to offer you for expertise and of course installation, your warranty goes to the standard 3 yr and 1 yr theft guarantee and we also have the entire line available to us to find the right item for your system and vehicle.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic