icon

Stripped Screw?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

I'm in a mess here, and I need some advice on what to do. The "ground" screw on my amp is jammed to where it won't move cause the threads are ruined, and the screw is pretty much stripped from me trying to get it out. It's only a few weeks old, so that bums me out. So basically I made it worse than what it was apparently, and I'm curious if these can be fixed? Can buy those screws somewhere on the net to be replaced? Right now I have a terminal shoved in there to keep the wire in place, but it's still some what loose, and it bothers me. Am I pretty much screwed, or can this be fixed?

Thanks.

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
you can order the hole part .for the power, ground and remote .open the amp and replace that peace. or you could drill the screw out and use a self taping screw to rethread the hole. you will have to use a larger screww for your ground.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

How do I know what size to look for, and do you know a site that sells them? Or point me to a direct link of the item?

Thanks

eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

also, if you need to know the amp, it's a JBL GTO1201

thanks again

eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
also forgot to add, it's the   GTO1201.1 II series. If anyone can tell me where to get the piece, I'd appreciate it.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

drill out the screw, then go to your local hardware store and they will help you get the right size you need. If you don't feel like you can do this yourself go to a electronic repair shop. I would say go to the repair shop. Nothing personal, but you already seem to not be to swift with a screw driver. A drill in the wrong hands could be lethal to your amp. And that a nice amp to die so young.Stripped Screw? -- posted image.

Big Dave
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
you have to contact JBL .you need a specific part. ., and you have to take the amp apart to replace it. or just take it to a repair shop. it wont look perfect when its done . but it will work.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Remember folks - JBL does not make screw fasteners. They purchase those items from the same people your hardware store does. Just go down to the hardware store and tell them what you need. I bet your screw is something like mine in my Polk amp. Here is how you would describe it:
Drive type = torx
Head Type = Cap
Screw Size = #8
Threads/inch = 32
Length = 3/4"
Material = steel
Most screws follow ASME/ASTM standards so that all #8 screws are the same diameter and so on. Your hardware store will be able to help you. Heck, you could probably call JBL and ask them what type of screw is in there (based on my above descriptions) and then take that description to your hardware store. Simple enough.
Mike
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
John 3:16
eklipz17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
My problem is getting the screw out, and it's hard to tell if the threads aren't shot on the piece itself. If I get a new screw, it's possible I can't screw it down. *sighs*
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Looks like speedwayaudio1 hit the nail on the head with you...if you can't drill out a stuck screw!  That's certainly what I'd do, and I'd get another screw in, too.  If I failed at that I'd use some other advice you got above and use a rethreading tool.  If you can't do that, you can take off the panel that the connections are located, separate it from the rest of the amp, and solder a push-on connector onto it.  It's just not real pretty that way...

*sighs*

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic