icon

led turn signal mirrors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
six2six 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

i have the leds on the mirrors wired up to my flasher unit. what i would like to do is when i disarm the alarm i want the lights on the mirror to flash with the park lights as well. but i don't want the leds on with my park lights at night. is this possible? i drive a 97 mazda 626 and the alarm is a compustar. any help will be greatly appreciated.

93cougarxr7se 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
Put a diode between the parking light and the mirror lead/led. Not exactly sure on the wiring, so I don't know. Are you just saying you don't want the parking light feature working on your mirror at all? Can't you just not connect it? You need to be a little more specific about it.
87 Astro 4.3L; Eclipse CD5000
88 Bronco 351W on 32x11.5x15 Yokohamas, Clarion Phaze 1 Components.
Home: MTX Thunder8000 in truck box & Parts Express amp.
six2six 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Right now the mirrror leds are connected to the left and right turn signal wire on the flasher unit under my dash.  This way they blink why I signal left or right.  What I want to do is when I arm and disarm my alarm I want to mirror leds to blink as well as my park lights.  But what I dont want is the leds on the mirror to be on constant with my park lights. Is this possible?
93cougarxr7se 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I got it.
How much current can your sender from your alarm put to your parking lights? There should be a wire going out to turn on your parking lights. So, you want to splice a wire into that. You want a diode on the wire going to your LED mirrors, and a diode going to your parking lights, both right at or just after the splice. This way, when your parking lights come on, power can't be sent back to the alarm and to the mirrors, and when your turnsignal mirrors are going, it doesn't send power back to your parking lights.
Now, if you need more current that your alarm puts out, you should get some relays. Diodes (zener?) are like $2.50 for two at Radio Shack, and relays are like $3.50 each at an auto parts store.
Otherwise, if you order off of Parts Express ( www.partsexpress.com ) relays should still be $.99 each, and shipping should be small. I had two 10" home speakers and some other junk sent in an almost 15x15x28" box, and it was only $10. I'd expect it would usually be $20+ to ship. So, you don't know what shipping is, but should be small on less than 1/2 pound. But you'll have to wait a week. It'll probably cost more, but if you go to those places, you'll get your stuff faster.
So, shouldn't cost you even $10 to do it, if you have the usual stuff.
six2six 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
I think I understand what you are saying but I'm not quite sure.  Will you be able to explain it a bit more? Or maybe even a diagram perhaps, if you don' t mind?  Thanks for all of your help but a diagram will really help me out. Thanking you in advance.
93cougarxr7se 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Here you go. Actually got to use my Multisim program. :D
led turn signal mirrors -- posted image.
six2six 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the diagram.  Just one last question.  Which diode do I use? Do I use the same type all around or do I need different ones?

93cougarxr7se 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  
Ya. You pick up a pair of diodes in a package, and they're the same. Current flows one-way through it. I'm not sure how much current runs through the circuit, but if it happens to fry the diode, you'll want to install a pair of relays. You'll want to go to "Special Applications for SPDT Relays." You can find out how many amps are running through the circuit by using a multimeter or ammeter.
The parking lamp wire probably just goes to some sort of relay in the car's wiring, instead of being powered off of the alarm. And I bet your LEDs take no more than a few watts of power.
P=I x V
Power equals current times voltage
#watts equals #mA times #volts (10-14V)
I=P/V
So, for the LEDs you should be fine with a regular zener diode, but for the lamps, you may want to see what the largest one you can get is, and you'll probably need just a couple amps at most. The best way is to go to Radio Shack, or whatever wiring store is near there, ask them for a 12V diode that works in up to 2 or more amps.
six2six 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
#1 You will need a diode or relay for each directional and mirror beam. 1N4001s are cheap and easy to find for the mirrors, but won't do the 4 amp (minimum) for the parking lamps- so I would use a relay for that
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic