icon

stuck on no start day 47

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shredex 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  

i've spent the last 47 days (every waking moment) integrating a 2001 4.0L HO motor into my 1988 cherokee. wiring integration turned out to be a complete replacement of the '88 looms with the '01, as well as the dash. i powered through the column and pedal hanger crisis in 2 days, and the fuel rail/ feul delivery re-engineering in 4. short of a couple new firewall penetrations, for the elongated steering shaft and wiring, relocating the power buss from driver to passenger kick, power distribution went off without a hitch. ever heard of an 88 with dual SRS?

my problem is the crankshaft position sensor, and its relation to the PCM. the 88 has a 5 spd manual trans. and the sensor reads teeth on the flywheel. it has a 2 wire pigtail. the 01 was auto trans and the sensor reads through 3 sets of 4 openings on the flywheel to 2 tabs that are welded to the torque conv.. it has a 3 wire pigtail. my question is: in utilizing the sensor that matches the manual trans there is no signal being sent to the PCM. the odd wire that i'm refering is a common wire color and for all sensors brn w/y. i know that the two leads coming from the sensor capacitate its function ie: reading its position but how would i incorporate this common wire whether grounding or splicing .to work with the 2 wire sensor? any help would help.

ive tried both sensors. the 3 wire sends signal but not in sync the 2 wire sensor gives no input to ECM.

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

What is the current trans in the 88?.. It sounds like you're using the manual trans from the 88 still? Do you have a scan tool that reads real time data stream? Are you using someone's kit to help install the engine electronics, or are you doing it on your own? Specifically, what are you doing with OBD-II?

Jim

paul m 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

Im a little confused about the statement that you are having trouble with the crankshaft position sensor? Where is the CPS located , is it where the distributor used to be , or as you say at the trans. ? Most late model engines encorporate the CPS at the old distributor shaft location ? I might suspect that you are possibly confusing the CPS harness plug for the Trans. tourqe converter lock out connector ? Im not quite sure what type of motor you are fighting with so i hope i dont sound lame here.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic