My 2000 Monte In Progress

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
roadshoptuner 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Vehichle: 2000 chevy monte carlo

HU: as of right now....Panosonic CQ-C7301U (upgrading to  CQ-HX2083U)

Fronts: 2005 Infinity Kappa 60.7CS (soon to be amped by a 2005 Kicker KX200.2)

Rears: 2005 Infinity Kappa 693.7I (soon to be amped by a 2005 KXKicker KX250.2)

Subs: two 2005 Infinity Reference 1042W DVC (amped by a 2003 Kicker KX500.2)

two 2005 Infinity Reference 1242W DVC (amped by a 2005 kicker SX650.1)

Wiring: 4agu Power and ground, 4-way  tsunami power and ground distribution blocks (V10PG2-MANL)

Capacitor: two Tsunami PP1005DM-CAP 5 farads

....any sugestions and comments will be greatly appriciated, thanx!

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  

Are you planning on using two different size subs?

dh205 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 5:09 AM / IP Logged  
hey roadshoptuner...i bet you work at circuitcity and are getting all that stuff off accomodations. i used to work there. i got a kicker 4 channel...it stunk!!! it kept going into protection...now i got an alpine and its great. it seems kicker's multi-channel amps are quite sub par...they get extremely hot--you can cook eggs on those things. their mono amps kick butt, though....the sx650.1 is horrible on the factory settings but once you get it right it rocks. also...since you're ordering off accomodations, get some perfect subs!! they are superior to reference!!
2004 hondaaccord sedan alpinecda9827HU, 2kicker sx650.1monoamps, alpinemrv-f540 4ch, 2 kappaperfect 10.1svc subs(350rms ea.), kappa 6.1 components(front), kappa 693.5i 6x9's(rear).

roadshoptuner 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
dh205, just put two of the perfect dvc's in one of my friends cars and was not impresse at all. I currently run two 12"s of the reference and for the money i did not notice a huge difference. The only real advantage i see over the reference series is the variable q design of the perfects. As far as kicker goes, one of my guys had the SAME exact problem with the kicker four chanle going into protect. he swapped it out for a two banger and has had no problems since. I will have to agree that there four chanles have some kinks which is exactly why im not running one :)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:
Are you planning on using two different size subs?

Looks like it.  There is absolutely no reason for that, and several good reasons why NOT to do it.  So what's the plan?

Support the12volt.com
konrad100 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I see you have the infinity kappas 60.7 cs, how do you like them? I debating between those and the infinity kappa perfect 6.5 inch have you heard these? If so which one is better sq, is it worth to spend the extra money??
roadshoptuner 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

Konrad100, i have just finished installing a set of the perfects into a 96 accord with a kicker 4chn. The perfects were very crisp with almost damagig highs. If you plan on running these speakers DEFINATLEY get a sub (assuming u dont already have one). I did notice a slight variance in midrange response between the perfects and the kappas, the normal kappas seem to be a slight bit more bassy, but i also have the tweeter boost turned off on the crossover, (it was at +3db on the perfects). My only complaint with the perfects is that they were a little tinny....but this seems to be a common trade of the infinity speaker line, just slightly more noticeable in this setup.

DYohn, i was actually experimenting with the two diffrent sub ideas....it is as follows...

The two 10" models will be reversed mounted in seperate .75ft3 chambers

the two 12" will be normally mounted in a 1ft3 sealed enclosure

...i was talking to some of my friends about this and the desired outcome is to hit some of the tighter bass notes commonly overlooked with larger surface area cones while filling the rest of the area with the twelves which seem to be a slight bit sloppier. as i have already said this is simply an experiment. I dont necisarily stand by this theory due to the fact ive never seen anything like it and im just curious as to how it may sound. If you have any advice regarding this i would be very interested in hearing it. Thanx evryone!

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
roadshoptuner wrote:
DYohn, i was actually experimenting with the two diffrent sub ideas....it is as follows...

The two 10" models will be reversed mounted in seperate .75ft3 chambers

the two 12" will be normally mounted in a 1ft3 sealed enclosure

...i was talking to some of my friends about this and the desired outcome is to hit some of the tighter bass notes commonly overlooked with larger surface area cones while filling the rest of the area with the twelves which seem to be a slight bit sloppier. as i have already said this is simply an experiment. I dont necisarily stand by this theory due to the fact ive never seen anything like it and im just curious as to how it may sound. If you have any advice regarding this i would be very interested in hearing it. Thanx evryone!

The idea that somehow larger cones are "sloppier" or not as "tight" or as "fast" as smaller cones is a common audio myth.  The size of the cone does not matter, it's all about the inductance of the voice coil and the enclosure type the system uses.  The same brand and type of 10" or 12" or 18" speaker in the same type of enclosure will be equally fast, tight and sloppy.  The only thing gained by larger cone size, all else being equal, is the ability to produce more SPL at lower frequencies.

Using multiple subwoofers can be very, very tricky due to all sorts of cancellations, both due to differences between how each speaker operates and due to acoustic cancellations from multiple reflected sound waves inside the listening space.  (note that operating multiple matched subwoofers together in a ganged configuration in effect creates one larger woofer with +3db increased sensitivity, as long as the physical distance between the drivers is minimized and less than 1/2 the highest crossover frequency wavelength.)   Operating multiple woofers from different locations requires some pretty sophisticated EQ and time alignment techniques to get it sounding right.  The most common result from operating two sets of woofers in the same vehicle is an overall lowering of bass SPL due to acoustic cancellations inside the vehicle.

I recommend you use your 12's as subwoofers and your 10's as mid-bass woofers.  You'll need a good 3-way electronic crossover.  Low pass the 12's at 80Hz.  Use the band-pass crossover section for the 10's, high-pass at 80Hz and low-pass at 250Hz.  Wire the pair in stereo and use a stereo amp.  Then use the high-pass section of the crossover set to 250Hz for your front main stereo amp.  This way you can get some use out of those 10's in a critical section of the frequency spectrum that your 6.5" mains have the most trouble with and avoid all those nasty cancellation problems.

Do you follow?  Cheers.

Support the12volt.com
roadshoptuner 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot DYohn, that actually helps out a lot. My kicker 500.2 is rated at 250w rms x 2 @ a 2 ohm load, this is 50 wats short of the rms of my 12"s, is it still enough to power them?
DYohn 
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

roadshoptuner wrote:
Thanks a lot DYohn, that actually helps out a lot. My kicker 500.2 is rated at 250w rms x 2 @ a 2 ohm load, this is 50 wats short of the rms of my 12"s, is it still enough to power them?

Absolutely.  Just set the gain to match the HU output and you're good to go.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic