icon

Alpine Type X 12

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to hear from those of you that have these. What kind of box do you have them in? What size of enclosure do you have? I know what the figures tell me, but I want real world experience. I have 2 of these that are going to be run off of 2 MRD-1000's. So let me know what you all have.
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
i dont have one but i have heard about them and seen them playing. i have one peace of advice about these subs they are really stiff when you first get them. you need to run them at half of there rms or less for well most people say 72 hours but gust to be on the safe side around 80 90 hours. you sould do this with all subs no matter what people say. better to be safe then sorry. i have seen this things gust blow strait out of the box because people dont brake them in. good luck and happy thumping.   Alpine Type X 12 -- posted image. Alpine Type X 12 -- posted image.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
They like small box's and lots of power, , and especialy like to hit the low rumble your balls kinda notes.  When building a box, plot it up on WinIsd Pro from http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=newdriver   and it will help you build a nice box for that sub.  I never really could agree on the reccomended ported box alpine has in the manual, winisd designs a way better box for you.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yo AlpineGuy have you ever heard these? WinIsd said to make it 4.99 cubic feet for a sealed and 5.04 for a ported. Seems quite a bit bigger than what Alpine recommends. I know that when I plot the 12W6's that I have it tells me to also do 4.04 on a vented box and I have found that 1.75 works great. I really would like to know why it says so big of an enclosure.
konrad100 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
If you estimate the cars enclosure that you are sitting in (cabin), well what they do is take the avergae of most cars on the inside and create enlosure specified to that...But this is not the case, if you really want a great enclosure you have to take into consideration the cabin enclosure of your car, the pressure exerted on the walls and the thickness of the sheet metal, only then you can calculate the best box, but we all know that's not possible (or is it) it is if you are the engineer that build the car.! Alpine recommends there boxes small and watts high, well to me there watts are not enough for this sub, so about a 1/2 a cu ft bigger won't hurt, if you can create a perfectly sealed box a bit bigger then that is the way to go.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
humm, last time i plotted a x-12 i got a 2 cu.ft box as the optimum ported.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
when you first plot somehting on WinISD it just gives you the flatest line. Sometimes (this being one of them) you don't want that. You have to optimize the box to get the graph you want.
mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys thanks for the help. Maybe I am inputing the wrong numbers into the application. I will run it again. As for the vehicle, this is going into a suburban so for space, I am not really limited. As far as the boxes go, I will probably just build a few to see which I like the best. I was just wanting to find some starting points.
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
i have been thinking about gettings these subs.. then others tell me there are other subs that blow these out of the water.. anyone have any ideas for me?
SSounds
mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
AlpineGuy, have you heard anything good about the new DVA-9965? I am thinking about upgrading to this, but the price is kind of scary. I previously owned the 7949 and I know it was expensive as well. I just thought I would ask for your opinion on this new unit.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic